Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X Cocking Piece needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents -

I've got a Mark X with adjustable trigger and would appreciate some help locating a Cocking Piece for the bolt.

No luck with Brownells or Numrich.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EBAY

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
There are lots of them on ebay. Just make certain you get the correct one. Regular or speed lock.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the assist, guys... I find K98 cocking pieces, but no Mark X's. (Am I missing something?)

Are they interchangeable?

What's the difference with a speedlock??? How would I be able to tell?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try using the word Commerical instead of using Mark X.

A speed lock version will be a bit shorter (less bolt travel) and will screw up your current safety system if your safety system cams the cocking piece. I don't think it would hurt if your safety system block only the trigger. (But check with a gunsmith to be sure)

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Most commercial cocking pieces on eBay are speed lock Mk X's and require a speed lock bolt. Hoosier Gun Works has a few of the old Mk X cocking pieces as illustrated. They do not have a flat bottom.

S40

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young.

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has a hole and a flat bottom - not 'arched' as shown in the picture above...

Thanks for providing the graphical assist!

So.... How do I tell if I have a speed lock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of any such thing as a "speed lock bolt". I would be very surprised if there was a difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,

I was reading the mauser Shop Manual by Jerry Kunhausen two night ago (I know, I need to get a life Big Grin). IIRC, he makes reference to a "speed lock in a few places, and has photographs with a "speed lock unit next to a standard unit".

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
Graphics show difference between standard and speed lock bolts as well as standard and speed lock cocking pieces -- S40

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never heard of any such thing as a "speed lock bolt". I would be very surprised if there was a difference

Both exist. I have them both. The late MKX and I believe the Dalys have them.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Goodness.. i hear that you shouldn't go through a day without learning something.. and I just learned a couple cool things.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Nice job with the graphics S40. A pic is worth a thousand words. It would have been hard to describe the difference, now I don't have to.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I learned something new and very useful tonight here on this thread.

Thanks!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK. Per the photos, I definitely DO NOT have the speed lock (the camming surface is straight).

In the (awesome) graphic below the photo, it appears that the geometry of the Standard M98 and Commercial M98 cocking piece are the same, except for the arched notch in the bottom (which probably is done to reduce mass and inertia?).

So... Can I use a standard M98 cocking piece in my (non-speed lock) Mark X?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
So... Can I use a standard M98 cocking piece in my (non-speed lock) Mark X?

I've done it in the past it was years ago and I don't remember any problems. CORRECTION Well after coffee this morning I checked the rifle. I had used an normal style MKX on a M98. But don't see why you couldn't go the other way as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! I am going to order one from Ebay and will report.

cheers

one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
If you use a standard cocking piece, you'll have to make a small L-shaped tool to hold the cocking piece/firing pin back during bolt assembly/dissassembly. See yet another graphic:

S40

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odd... I would usually expect a wrench in the works - during a procedure...

But here... A tool (decidedly not a wrench!) turns up before I even begin!!!

I'm so confused! Roll Eyes

My Mark X safety is on the trigger assy. The bolt pictured appears to have its own safety. Would that make a difference?

Also, I can't tell from your photo how the tool works - what it rests against to hold anything?

S40, your knowledge is not in doubt - just my inability to understand even a simple photo!!! Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After a 3 week wait, my Ebay-purchased K98 cocking piece has arrived. (Lousy seller in AK!)

Anyway, I found the groove in the side of the cocking piece where the tool is needed. I cut off a .500 length of a 16 penny nail... Worked GREAT!

After comparing many key dimensions, I assembled the bolt and cocked/uncocked it, verifying the action of the trigger-mounted safety, etc... Works perfect so far...
But then I dry fired it. @#$% I couldn't open the bolt, so I pulled the action out of the stock and removed the trigger, which then allowed me to open and remove the bolt.

Problem: The notch in the bottom of the cocking piece allows the bolt sear to pop up into it and trap the bolt. The bolt can then be removed while squeezing and holding the trigger. This allows the sear to be pushed down by the ramped notch of the cocking piece as the bolt is opened.

So now I know that the flat-bottomed cocking piece is NOT directly interchangeable with the K98 piece in a Mark X. The rifle will shoot and function correctly in every other way, but you can't open the bolt without depressing the trigger.

Question: What's the best way to fix the problem? I don't want to buy a different trigger. I still can't find a replacement Mark X cocking piece anywhere.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question: What's the best way to fix the problem? I don't want to buy a different trigger. I still can't find a replacement Mark X cocking piece anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Silver braze a "V" shaped piece of steel in the notch. Use a lower temperature silver solder and pack the inside with a heat preventing
paste. ( Or do what I did and send the cocking
piece to Dennis Olson and let him do the work.)

I've been using mine so modified for damn near
twenty years now!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my gunsmith buddy Dewight marshal works the back of the bolt like the pics on mausers, as far as the cocking piece, a military can be modified, any good GS can do it, Dennis Olson is a good choice also.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hit the nail on the head when you said the trigger trapped the bolt in the action. I have taken a standard m98 cocking piece and welded a piece to the bottom and machined it down to work. Simple enough to do.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the consensus is to "fix" the cocking piece, by one of a variety of methods.

At least I have a rifle I can shoot now!

Thanks again, guys! thumb cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like your going to try and fix it, but you might want to give Rob a call at 620-353-3031. He might have what you are looking for!