New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Ultramag - how to dress it up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My otherwise sane brother is buying a new Remington rifle from Cabela's, in 375 Ultramag. I can't talk him out of this.

From his desciption, it's the alaskan model with black coating on stainless steel. 7.5 pounds and no iron sights, on a big 375 cartridge. Yuck!!!!

I would like to get him to:
1) Get some iron sights installed
2) Add some weight to the rifle for a nicer shooting experiance.

Any gunsmith suggestions? Any other suggestions?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akalinin:
My otherwise sane brother is buying a new Remington rifle from Cabela's, in 375 Ultramag. I can't talk him out of this.

From his desciption, it's the alaskan model with black coating on stainless steel. 7.5 pounds and no iron sights, on a big 375 cartridge. Yuck!!!!

The iron sights alone will add a couple of ounces. Big Grin The scope & mounts up to another pound.

I'd probably go with an NECG banded front sight and one of their two bladed folding rear sights.

I wouldn't bother with adding weight until after he shoots it. Not everyone needs a heavy rifle in hard kickers.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:

The iron sights alone will add a couple of ounces. Big Grin The scope & mounts up to another pound.

I'd probably go with an NECG banded front sight and one of their two bladed folding rear sights.

I wouldn't bother with adding weight until after he shoots it. Not everyone needs a heavy rifle in hard kickers.

He's 6'3" and 240 lbs. He may brush off the recoil, but it's the lack of iron sights that pisses me off.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
He's 6'3" and 240 lbs. He may brush off the recoil, but it's the lack of iron sights that pisses me off.

He sounds like a big boy. Who's paying for the gun you or him?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sometimes big boys hurt more than their little bretheren. I'd wait to see if he really likes it first. But like I posted somewhere else today, Sarco Inc. has original Whitworth sights cheap or you can get real Remingtons in the internet auction houses real cheap too.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
or load it down to 375 hh and have a lower pressure soft kicking rifle

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I know it sounds light but in a properly designed stock it can still be OK to shoot

Does HE want the iron sights ?

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would let him enjoy his new toy, and allow it to evolve as he sees fit.

More weight or a brake may be of interest if he shoots it from the bench much.....but not stumping up the mountains.

Iron sights may get added after a bargain scope fails....known to happen when "Alaskan" is in the scope name but the scope is in Alaska Eeker

Ultimately we seem to buy what we want even if it isn't what we really need.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
LOL..
get him a set of rem take offs and a bottle of loctite blackmax!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
or load it down to 375 hh and have a lower pressure soft kicking rifle

Yeah, thats what I'll do. He asked me to teach him to reload, and I am buying him a set of dies and some bullets for his birthday this month.

This is his first venture into big bore territory, and I want to make it as fun for him as it is for me with my 458 lott.

IMHO, every reputable rifle manufacturer should offer iron sights, especially on larger calibers. Scopes fail at the in-opportune times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShortandFat:
I know it sounds light but in a properly designed stock it can still be OK to shoot

Does HE want the iron sights ?

regards
S&F

I haven't asked him yet, but I think he will want them at some point. He is used to shooting a slugged shotgun, with just a bead sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light loads will make it lots of fun to shoot. The Speer 235g SS bullets are pretty cheap and can be loaded down pretty well. There are also several 375 Win choices.....or you can look for the perfect cast solution. I've shot very light loads with unique--blue dot may be a better choice for something in the middle of the road.

I would avoid the cast bullets at first....nobody wants to see their new toy scattering bullets around while searching for a cast load it likes.

I've played with lots of loads in my light 375 H&H, but still more full power ones than anything else. It is 8.2 pounds with scope and rings.....but has a 19" barrel and muzzle brake.

One of those past recoil shield-type shoulder pads is a good idea for both comfort and limiting stock crawling--

Punching big, easy-to-see holes in things is addictive, so I'm sure you will both have a good time with it.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote