Notify
Tools

Can you ID this action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
And if so what do you know about it?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this a guessing competition? Smiler

You must have read all the information about this rifle on the Salter webpage already.
(and I know nothing more about it than what is written there).

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Yes I read Joe's page, but still tells nothing of its development and original intent. No tricks or guessing games, just looking for some information.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan, if you look at the bottom of the page below the photos of the rifle you will see the article by Dietric Appel. I think he is still a member of the guild and is retired now. He might not mind a phone call to explain the rifle. You can however click on the photographed pages of the article and read it (if you know German - Smiler).

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
where is the article?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thank Chic I will look into it. More of an education thing than anything. I just thought it was a very unique action, and I have not seen it's military cousin which is more typical of actions from those days.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
You're not not going to share the article?

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I found particularly interesting is that, as you can see on this picture (lower left - action open),

The action really looks like a precursor to the Mauser 66 - a rifle brought to market some 60-70 years later. It also locks up directly in the barrel - a feature seen on not only the Mauser 66, but on most Blaser turn bolt rifles (as well as the R93) and the Sauer 200 series, among others.

quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
where is the article?

See below - I had to save the jpg files, and use a viewer allowing me to magnify them quite a bit - but maybe that is just a testimony to my old eyes...

There is also an excerpt from a book/article in English:

And another...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
WOW! I love the action and the Germanic looks of those rifles. Too bad they are so coslty. Have any of you seen one for sale that was not from the Kaiser??? Love the little guns.. Excellent looking mechanics.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Interesting! A sporting rifle design obviously made at Spandau Arsenal, a German ordnance manufacturing facility, and apparently made for the kaiser. Perhaps that accounts for its' scarcity and little-known status.

Personally, I regard it as ugly as hell, despite its' obviouys high-quality execution. It looks like that stock comb would rare up and give you a helluva nosebleed, it the thing has any recoil to speak of.

The Dakoka No. 10 or their new mini-Sharps are both much more beautiful arms......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I had not returned to this thread. I just did a little computer investigation to find the source of the photos and the particular rifle and the articles were posted below the thumbnail photos. It is an intersting and wonderful rifle.

I have a Krieghoff 7X57 rifle with a rear tang pop up peep sight like the one that shows in the last photos. It has a wonderful half octagon half round barrel with a full length tang and I do not have the heart to dismantel it for a rebuild without incorporating all the parts.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I keep looking at this, and wondering how they crossed a lee-speed with a mauser!!

Great painting of the Kaiser, it doesn't show or intimate his withered arm.

I know that these are calvaryboots, but should be be good snake boots too!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote