New
Find
Notify
Tools

RedHawk Trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new Redhawk 44 Mag. The trigger is very smooth but weighs in at about 8.5 pounds. Two questions. Is it much of a job to lighten them up? Is there a particular poundage to stay within. Thanks.

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Wolff springs are offered in 9, 10 and 12#. The factory is 14#. I would recommend going no less than 12#. That 2 lbs makes a difference while maintaining it's reliability. Nothing worse than having a missfire when you least expect it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Do not reduce main spring power on the Redhawk to lower trigger pull. The trigger return spring and the main spring are the same component and if you reduce the power of the spring the gun won't fire. I worked very closly with the gentelman who designed this revolver and we talked about it quite a bit; mostly him talking, me listening.

The only way to reliably reduce trigger pull is to adjust the sear angles. If this is something you havn't done before, then I don't recomend the Redhawk for your first.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I can't count the number of Redhawks that I've put 12# springs in after reshaping sear angles and polishing components. Never encountered a single missfire using a 12# spring. Of course carefully polishing the individual components reduced any drag that was present.

WS, if the pull you are wanting to reduce is the Double Action pull, then a 12# spring might do it for you. But if it is the Single Action pull you wish to reduce, I agree with Rusty, hire it done by someone who's familiar with these trigger assemblies. It doesn't take much to screw up the timing.

With the rate of hammer fall being different between the Double and Single Action modes, if you go the reduced power spring route, you will need to test fire the gun in both modes to be certain it is 100 percent reliable. Good luck.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your input, I appreciate it. I have little experience with a double action handgun so thanks for answering a rookie question. My XP 100 has it's trigger set at 6 ounces so the Redhawk seemed crazy. I think I will continue using it as it is and see if I can gain proficiency through use. Again thanks!

WS

Posts: 94 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you which spring to put in your Redhawk, or even how to do it, but I have had Wolff's lightest spring kit in my Redhawk for over 20+ years (almost 25 years) and never ever had as much as one misfire. I suspect the secret is as Wespac indicated, a good polishing of all the surfaces that might create inappropriate drag. I didn't polish mine, but the fellow who put in the spring kit for me might have.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote