THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Rifleman 1999 Actions: Why? Why Not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If MRC had gone with a standard M98 bolt release instead of the unsightly Sako arrangement, I would have purchased several of their actions.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I would say that is a good assumption since they are working for the parent cartridge. I am trying to get more photos of one being used for a big wildcat the 334 OKH Magnum....kind of a silly cartridge to build a rifle on these days, but his father had one and it was lost in a fire. The gun was built off of a M70 action. If I can get pictures of it from Alaska I will forward them on. Personally, I think he just wants to have more power than my trashed old 333 OKH.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the MRC bolt release, 500. It's an easy, one-hand operation to use it. I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the bolt can be removed with gloves on.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
I like the MRC bolt release

So do I. In any event, it is a largely a matter of taste how a bolt release should look. A dear friend of mine maintains he prefers the M70 release (more about that later). Some (500 included, apparently) prefer a M98 release - which to me is unnecessarily large and clunky. Adding a release like that would certainly not help remove weight from the action. But to each his own...

About the M70 release: it is a GOOD thing MRC did NOT include this into their design - otherwise heavily influenced by the M70. On of the main reasons USRAC never incorporated a much needed flange on their bolt shroud to deflect gas moving down the left raceway, is due to the position of the M70 bolt release. In terms of gas handling, getting rid of this wretched thing, and incorporating a flanged shroud was a definite step in the right direction for the M1999.

Quite another issue, is what can be produced at what cost. It is all well and good for us customers to demand this feature and that. But all features incorporated must be paid for, and fit with the manufacturing strategy adopted - in this case investment casting. There the Sako TRC release fit right into the picture. It certainly works well enough, like the looks of it or not.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Guys I agree. I like the little release. I also like the C-ring Muaser feature along with the M70 safety and the controlled feed and extraction. If investment casting was really bad, there wouldn't be so many Rugers running around!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Woody at Lothar Walther found my perfect barrel profile. Now its time to start ordering parts..I still have a few big hurdles in my stock though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
If MRC had gone with a standard M98 bolt release instead of the unsightly Sako arrangement, I would have purchased several of their actions.

Wow, piss on a superior design because Herr Mauser didn't design it. animal

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Woody at Lothar Walther found my perfect barrel profile. Now its time to start ordering parts..I still have a few big hurdles in my stock though.

333-OKH, if it has a name or number could you post it?

As to the MRC bolt release, I think it's a good practical design but they really didn't do the execution justice, even for a "gunsmith" action. One of mine was salvagable but the other has such big gaps around the opening I'm going to have to make a new button that fits. It's probably the only part of the action I find "sloppy". I think it would have looked better if they did a variation of the SAKO style on the L61R but that's just a matter of my tastes. It wouldn't stop me from buying another action. In fact, I'm in for two PH actions if Williams doesn't beat them to the punch.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The profile number is 5125 or the 5130. They are very similar, and from the 30s.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thanks, New England Custom Gun imports the Rechnagel (Recknagel? I can never get that right) line but they only have some cataloged. You will need to contact them and see what they can get special order.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Man thanks. I think I will have them just install the sights when I get a chance to discuss it with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:

Wow, piss on a superior design because Herr Mauser didn't design it.

If a guy thinks that the rather crude investment cast bastardized M1999 is an "improvement" over the things that it is based on, he needs to study up on actions some more to alleviate an acute case of ignorance.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo 500, not that it is any concern of mine, but did you change your mind about the basic M1999 design between your last two posts??

quote:

quote:
If a guy thinks that the rather crude investment cast bastardized M1999 is an "improvement" over the things that it is based on, he needs to study up on actions some more to alleviate an acute case of ignorance.

Or were you induced to sharpen up your opinion on the M1999 (and your profile in general?) by somewhat provocative remarks made by other posters??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:

Wow, piss on a superior design because Herr Mauser didn't design it.

Every 500 Grains post is a classic in my book, except that one comment about the Sako bolt release on the M99.

I was still wondering about it, but now things are back to normalSmiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I took everything you guys told me to heart, but still ordered a 1999 Montana. I have some refinements that will be done to what my eye likes. When the barreled action is done I will post the pictures to show you, but the custom barrel profile and action need to visit Mark Stratton for a little while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be pleased not only with the Montana action, but with the LW barrel. My Montana was from the original special offer that I had them fit a #4 300WSM barrel to. I am very pleased with the results. It was exactly as advertised, not highly polished, but functioned and shot great with no fouling(1 1/4 @ 200yd. at Raton over a rolled up coat when we checked our settings).As others stated these actions will fit your cartidge selections fine as long as you are not building ultralight rifles. Hope your project turns out well, please post your results.

Posts: 90 | Location: NW PA | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
333_okh,
i have had six of the montana actions since they were introduced. every one could have been used as it was received. spend some time or money, they can be made more refined. they are a bit massive for the cartridge class but not to excess. i believe i sent you a picture of a lott i'm working on using one and i recently got "mine" back from scrollcutter. he engraved 275 rigby on a flat of the octagon barrel attached to the lh short action.
choiced for left handers are very limited. montana is another viable choice for me. to bad remington got involved with the mausers from eastern europe, i don't believe we will see any from them.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am having the internal moving parts stoned by Mark Stratton when I get it from Montana. While it is at camp with Mark I want to have him make some other refinements like a new bolt hand, custom bases, and ......No worries about this being a light rifle. The barrel is 25 inches finishing at .625" and the stock will have a long length of pull, plus all of the express sights, etc. I expect to have a 9 pounds rifle in the little bitty 6.5 Swede. Oddly, it is just what I want and designed for.