New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forrest B's mauser reference
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Forrest went to a lot of trouble to research the 98s and posted it for our reference. I shared it with another forum and received this post.

Butch,

That's a pretty good reference. However, it has at least a couple of errors in it.

Under type II, the small ring Brno commercial action is found in the post-war 21H/22F series of rifles, not the VZ47, which is an airgun.

The Brno ZG47 is listed under Type IV as a small ring commercial action. In fact it is a large ring commercial action.

I know this because I own both a 21H and a ZG47. :-)

Also, under Type IV is the Husqvarna commercial action, which I do not consider a m98 type because it lacks the receiver ring gas collar, an important safety feature which earlier Mauser actions lacked. It is more like a hybrid between the 96 and 98 types, incorporating many of the 98 features such as 3rd safety lug, cock on opening, shorter firing pin fall and gas flange at the front of the bolt shroud. See Frank de Haas detailed discussion in his Bolt Action Rifles book. de Haas speculates that the Husqvarna was developed from the Swedish 96 action. I know, technical trivia.

Is what he is saying true. I have Forrest's work printed out for my benefit and need to know if it needs changing.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Just because De Haas has it printed in a book it doesn't make it true. The poster you're referring to knows little more than what he's read in a few books and now is a self proclaimed expert like so many others these day's. He tried to convince me that a CZ 550 was a true Mauser action a few years ago. He's a nice enough fellow but has been wrong on more than a few points.

The whole thing got started over a discussion of small ring M98 Mexican mausers and he wanted to display his knowledge on how to tell if it was a 93,95,96 or 98 Mauser. My advice was to look at the date on the crest which was completely ignored animal

I do believe the vz47 is an air rifle though and have not read Forrest's paper.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm SURE no expert. I have seen several posting of pictures of small ring mausers that the owners have called a vz-47.

That said there are also a number of listing for a BRNO and CZ vz-47 as an air rifle trainer.

As an example:

http://www.vzduchovka.cz/prehled/40006/40006_en.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thirdbite, I agree with you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ya'lll revise and agree to it, and we'll post in ref.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote