New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&R or NEF rechamber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Will the H&R (NEF) single shot .223 handle the pressure of the .220 Swift if rechambered to that caliber?

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
With NEF / H&R offering chamberings such as the .243, .270, .280 & .30-06, I don't believe pressure is the issue. H&R at one time offered a Heavy Barrel in .22-250, and these were a miserable failure. Constant failures to eject, and actions popping open upon firing were just a couple of the problems associated with the .22-250 version.

I have read that the taper of the .22-250 case, coupled with the chamber pressure is what the problem was, in addition to not perfect chambers in the barrels. Some were also reported to have rough chambers too.

I too have been considering getting a NEF. I have been contemplating either a .270, or a .280, and then getting an extra barrel. The extra barrel would be a 24" Heavy Bull Barrel in .223 Remington, and I would also like to know if I could have it rechambered to the .220 Swift.

To my thinking the Swift would be better suited to this type of action that the .22-250 would.

Good luck

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the biggest problem with rechambering would be if they don't have a 23-24" barrel for the Swift.But the bull barrel in 22" might be enough.If it will work it will make for a very cheap .220 Swift. Reamer rental is $29.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SD Handgunner: Chamber pressures have nothing directly due to popping open. Bolt thrust combined with poor locking engagement is most likely the culprit.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote