Find
Notify
Tools

Action for a .338-375 Ruger?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I want to see how this cartridge performs as an all-weather all-around cartridge for game from deer to moose, so am looking for a stainless action. I would love to use a Model 70 action, but I am thinking it would need work to feed properly. The easy route is either a stainless Ruger 77 or a stainless Howa 1500 in .375 Ruger as the parent. What say you?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70
Next question.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The problem with a model 70 is that the action needs to be worked over by someone with more skill than me in order to feed correctly and would likely need a new mag box and follower. On the other hand, I am quite comfortable threading and chambering a barrel for the Howa or Ruger.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
any ruger that used an "Standard" magnum.. 3.34" oal, .532 casehead

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would have thought that if a standard magnum Winchester M70 action won't work that a standard magnum Ruger 77 would not either.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Boomie -

I don't know the difference, if any, between the diameters and locatons linearly of the .375 Winchester and the .375 Ruger shoulders, but assume you do or can find out.

I can visualize the Ruger magnum action working if it was originally fitted for a .375 Ruger cartridge, whereas a Winchester action might not work if it was for a longer, smaller diameter shouldered case, such as the .375 H&H MIGHT have.

Anyway, I suspect a necked down .375 Ruger case would feed slick as goose grease through an action donated by a .375 Ruger rifle. Just don't putz with the shoulder diameter or location.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
trivial feeding work, from something already a 300 winmag ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Jeff - Are you referring to the Ruger or the Winchester?