Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x57 Project Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I recently purchase a 9.3x57 project rifle form one of our member. I'll include some pictures from the ad below. The stock looks like one of the Obendorf classics that Midway closed out a couple years ago. I had bought one then and ended up not using it.

Since I have never finished a stock of this shape I'm looking for some help.When I had bought one before I had planned on removing hte panels. I've seen some with the raised areas left some removed. Need some nice example pictures if anyone has them. If the panels are left do you still checker the forarm?????

Like I said this is a new one for me. So I'm looking for any help, suggestions or advice I can get. And no it isn't for sale. Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Paul
the panels are for strength, to keep the action for "accordianing" and cracking - please leave em!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffe

If a fella was to double cross bolt, or piller bed such a rifle and remove those gastly panels would the stock be strong enough.

Those Panels is one thing about the German Sporters that I do not like.

I do not recall the British Mausers having many stock problems.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The panels are to help the stock from flexing but there have been a lot rifles built without them. As long as you bed it correctly there should be no problem, but if the grain is not right who knows.

"There is a bloody brave little animal called the honey badger in Africa. It may be the meanest animal in the world. It kills for malice and for sport, and it does not go for the jugular-it goes straight for the groin. It has a hell of a lot in common with the modern American woman."
Robert Ruark-The Honey Badger
SGB7x57@Gmail.com
360-918-8283
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
WANT TO RETURN TO AFRICA CLUB Life Member

Posts: 187 | Location: Olympia, Wa | Registered: 31 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My 9.3X62 is built on slim stock and has neither X bolts or panels. IMO you can do without them. Are you going to scope the rifle? If so you'll need a low bent bolt handle that'll go right by the right side panel. This just ruins the look the panels give.

For me, if I was going to scope the rifle they would come off. For an open sighted gun I would consider leaving them on and using a bolt handle that didn't need to be inletted into the stock.

If you leave them only checker the grip. Simple pattern low LPI.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you going to scope the rifle? If so you'll need a low bent bolt handle that'll go right through the right side panel.

Excellent point I had not thought of that. As you can see it comes with a new bolt handle. My early thinking was when I had the bolt handle installed to ahve it drilled and taped as well as blued.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock looks very similar to the ones Midway had on a clearance sale 4 or 5 years back. I bought one (wish I had gotten 2 or 3) and used it on a Mauser project. I really like the style, but don't care for the side panels. I removed them. I really don't think they add much in the way of strength. I like to use the hidden glassed in crossbolt method. Never had one crack yet.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make it how you want it, leave em, reshape them, or remove them.

I like a short forearm like that with no checkering

JP Sauer's had side panels

A Maurice Ottmar with side panels

A duplicated m146 stock in english walnut no side panels

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ramrod340

Let me add that he 9,3x57 is an excellent calibre for all game in the lower 48, subject to some range limitations of course.

Baised on my use of the 9,3x74R I think the 270 Speer would be about perfect for the 9,3x57.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me add that he 9,3x57 is an excellent calibre for all game in the lower 48, subject to some range limitations of course.

I have decided to leave it as a 57. While the rifle comes with several boxes of ammo I ordered several boxes of 270s on sale.

Gsp7 thanks for the great pictures. Now if I can do a fraction as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The 270 Speer shoots just fine in my x57 but the irons are regulated for 286 gr bullets at about 2000-2100 fps. Graf and Sons often has the 286 gr Privi on sale and at that velocity, it is a very reliable performer.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote