New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for Horn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a source for a couple pieces of horn for classic stock restoration. Must be solid and very black. Anybody got a couple pieces that are big enough for a tip that I can buy. Source would be appreciated...I've done all the usual internet searches and come up with folks that sell jewellery or won't sell to me in Canada. Thanks, Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are the dimensions of the piece you're looking for?
Most suppliers to the knife making trade sell horn in slabs. That's where I buy my horn.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minimum size I'm looking for is 1.25" x 1.25" x 1.75" length. Did check out several sites..some in USA and India. Looks like their selling to the jewellery and knife industry. Prefer a USA supplier of high quality black water buffalo for this project

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Texas Knife Supply has whole horns pretty cheap. You'll have to cut out your own blank. Whether it has any streaks in it is a crap shoot. Jeff's Outfitters has some horn products. I know he had butt plates for sure. You might post this on the Austrailian forum too; they have some big-horned asiatic buffalo. Most of what is imported into the USA is the smaller variety and it's hard to get a large blank cut from one.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several hundred water buff horns from Australia and could supply if you get stuck.

Getting the horn, whether whole or cut into appropriate blocks, through your customs would be something you would have to look into. Normally it would only be worth the hassle in bulk, but I have never sent any to Canada.

The material for gunstock use normally comes from the old cows, it is rare to get a bull with really solid tips, and those that have them have normally damaged them fighting.

PM me if you have no luck.

Posts: 106 | Location: Tasmania | Registered: 27 March 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't suggest this except as a way of getting around the shipping hassles, but have you tried calling up some local antique dealers and inquiring if they have any old horns?

You'll stink up your shop cutting one down to the size you need but it can be a way of finding horn and sometimes pretty cheap if the horn has a broken tip to begin with.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Here is an excellent source for horn, bone & ivory.
Boonetrading Company

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tandy Leather dot com. Be sure to use a good respirator when working horn. You can get anthrax and other nasties from the dust.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote