New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to rebore/rechamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it possible, and does it make any sense, to rebore and rechamber a .416 Rigby to a .404 Jeffery? I realize beforehand that both cartridges are similar, but I have another itch if you know what I mean.
thanks
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
There's more involved than just a simple rebore and rechamber. The Rigby chamber is larger than the Jeffrey which would necessitate setting the barrel back. Hopefully you would have enough straight section at the chamber end to do this. Practically speaking (unless you have a quarter rib on the current barrel) it would be cheaper to rebarrel. Then you have the problem of the larger bolt face for the Rigby. At the very least you would have to replace the extractor. You didn't mention what brand of rifle it was. Overall, it doesn't sound prctical, especially since both rounds can push a 400 gr. bullet at 2400 fps.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks !! That is what I needed to know.
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
No, not actually --- the rigby chamber is too big, but more importantly, you couldn't recut the barrel, as the .416 grooves would be be between the .424 and .412 or so bore.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote