THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I have a problem with an American company who owes money and won't answer the phone..

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a problem with an American company who owes money and won't answer the phone..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been asked to mediate with an American company, Tactical Precision Systems, TPS, after an Italian importer made an order for $5,642.95 worth of product, (paid for in full in advance) on the 1st of April this year, but has not recieved thier stuff. They have written in the vicinity of 40 emails and 20 faxes but have not recieved any replies, and they (TPS) rarely answer their phone. I was able to speak to them once, and was assured that I would be called back by Mr. Williams, but never was. I later found that the person I spoke with was already well aware an involved with the order in question. It is very difficult to deal with an overseas company in any case, much more so one that refuses to cominucate with it's customers.
Of that order TPS has sent one shippment amounting to $2413,25, but offers no explanation regarding the tardiness of the rest of the shippment, and has given a few dates as maybes that have passed without any aterial being sent.

The way they have treated this company is just deplorable, and I think it should be made public record, I would also like to know what action they can take to get their money back from TPS for the part of the order htey never recieved.

What can I do?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dealing with a foreign entity is risky unless they have a pretty good track record. Collecting is next to impossible...keep badgering them if you want, but I suspect you'll up with a stack of e-mails equal to the height of the BS.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The amount will probably fit into a small claims court. You may have to file and action against them. Small claims courts generally do not requirre you to have an attorney, but do have documents to prove your case. You can hire someone to represent you. Most small claims courts only allow you to sue for actual damages, not anything else.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Express

It might be worth a try following up through the bank system, depends how they paid, but sometimes payments can be reversed if a fraudulent transaction is involved. Thats bound to get their attention !!

Cheers

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
I would also like to know what action they can take to get their money back from TPS for the part of the order htey never recieved.

What can I do?

I am curious as to why an Italian Importer has retained someone in Italy to mediate on their behalf with an American company? Especially when said mediator feels the need to solicit advice from an internet forum.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So.

This one--as opposed to Hein--I have personal experience with.

I emailed TPS a sizable Purchase order about the time your Italian friends placed their order.

I received no confirmation, and finally got through by telephone.

The woman who answered asked about my boss--they're friends--and stayed on the phone long enough to confirm that when I emailed the PO again, this time to a different email addy, they got it.

I've emailed a couple of times since then, and tried to get through on the phone, but no luck.

We'd be more than happy to send them a check.

I have TPS rings on a couple of scopes, and look forward to using them on more.

They manufacture an excellent product.

My boss, with a mere 50 years experience, says they're the best for our application.

Apparently, this has been a long term situation. Hard to get hold of, and hard to get product, but... they're the best.

I'm wondering if this might not be like getting primers from Federal?

Just too much demand?

Anyway, I expect we'll fill the gap short term with other products, but I know we'll wait patiently for more TPS rings.

Overall, I guess you guys all know I hate the threads bashing the people who actually make the products we love.

And really want.

Although, in the greater sense, we might not actually need.

And if I've seemed a little skeptical, put it in perspective. Two months ago I visited my stepmother in Intensive Care, with tubes coming out of her body everywhere.
I might well have avoided the 600 mile trip.

She didn't know I was there.

A month ago, at her Baptist church, I sat through the minister assuring me that there'd be no hereafter unless I accepted Christ.

I wonder if she had any Jewish friends.

Anyway, I know the board can get a little boring, and some of these threads are better than TV.

(Which might not say much for television.)

With Tactical Precision, I counsel patience.

Go to the safe, pick a rifle you already have, and take it shooting.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out this website: http://www.tacticalprecision.com/Distributors.htm

It looks like TPS has a representative in Europe who may be able to help.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a shyster outfit to me !.

All P O Boxes E Mails phone , yet no physical address given .

Perhaps AC knows something about them ?.

That is ONLY to imply their address is in his neck of the woods so to speak
NOTHING MORE !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use switchboard and their phone number to determine if they have a physical location.
If you get not found or just a cell number then there may not be a physical address.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Still no answer on the phones, fax or e-mail...I have also left several vioce messages.
Howard: The reason I have been asked to mediate is simply on a favour basis because English is my first language and I have had sucess in the past doing exactly this kind of work for this guy in the past.
I do have legal training, though it is of little use from this part of the the world.

I have reccomended that he file a complain with the Better Business Bureau, which might get their attention.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just want you to know how much I enjoyed your post, Dr K.

On the basis of no personal experience, and no evidence, you've decided they look like a "shyster outfit".

It is consoling, however, that board readers have been spared your usual "I'm not a gunsmith" disclaimer, followed by three pages of your CV.

If this is the kind of snap judgment you engaged in during your professional life, I'm certain we're all glad you're retired.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I encourage all foreign companies who have problems with American sellers to contact the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. They have both the power and the authority to resolve such complaints.

The FTC does not look kindly on companies which give customers in foreign lands a negative view of doing business with U.S suppliers.... particularly not with the balance of trade issues which have expanded over the last few years.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TACTICAL PRECISION SYSTEMS INC.
PO BOX 1393
LaPINE OREGON
503 463 9322

Express, is this the contact information?

I found this in the Oregon State website

130967-97 DBC INA OREGON 02-18-2003 02-18-2008
Entity Name TACTICAL PRECISION SYSTEMS, INC.

Type PPB PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS
Addr 1 585 N FRONT ST #162
Addr 2
CSZ WOODBURN OR 97071 Country UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Type AGT REGISTERED AGENT Start Date 06-16-2003 Resign Date
Name BRAUN REINHOLD
Addr 2

PRE PRESIDENT Resign Date
Name TERRENCE S MCLAUGHLIN
Addr 2

Type SEC SECRETARY Resign Date
Name TERRENCE S MCLAUGHLIN
Addr 2

HERE is a link to this information on the business registry of Oregon.

BTW, English is your first language??? I distinctly remember getting off of a Quantas plane in Brisbane when I was 16 year old with my family and my dad introduced me to an aussie. He spoke for quite a while and I understood about one word out of 10. Wink I did come to know the word for beer -- Four X (Castlemaine Perkins if you cared to read that far).

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked a bit further down the list and found this and it may not be good news for your Itie friends.

Image Date Action Transaction Date Effective Date Status Name/Agent Change Dissolved By
04-18-2008 ADMINISTRATIVE DISSOLUTION 04-18-2008 SYS

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting -TPS has an internet forum .
http://www.tpsforum.com/index.php

Stonewall

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Chic,

I've passed that information on, and suggested we go to the FTC to see if they can't elicit a reply from TPS.
What is strange about the Adminastrative Dissolution notice there is that it is rumoured that TPS are providing the US military with equipment, so that would not make sense, would it..?

I have also kept on trying to get in touch, and still no answer, is it possible they hare caller ID and don't want to talk to me? the first time I called I got them on my second try.

I really don't know what is going to happen with this one, I will keep you all posted.

English my first language? Back home they called me "Jaba-Ja-Abadad" - "crocodile, who walks, like a man"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonewall, I tried to join that forum last week. I registered, though the notice that actually enables me to post on it has not arrived...So I am registered there but not able to post. I somehow doubt they will ever give me the chance to put anything up on there.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
I just looked a bit further down the list and found this and it may not be good news for your Itie friends.

Image Date Action Transaction Date Effective Date Status Name/Agent Change Dissolved By
04-18-2008 ADMINISTRATIVE DISSOLUTION 04-18-2008 SYS

Sorry to hear this, thanks for look. Sorry Express.

Flaco, care to revise you statements?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38603 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which part, exactly, do you suggest I revise, Jeff?

The part about Dr. K's myriad "I'm not a gunsmith" disclaimers?

The part where he's posted his Curriculum Vitae ad infinitum, ad nauseam?

The part where he posted on the basis of ignorance?

If you'd seen their excellent products, you'd know their street address is on the packaging.

You should also know, I guess, the manufacturers who supply Brownells are not in general "shysters".

I spoke to a long term employee of the company on June 17th.

If they've had a restructuring, well, that doesn't make them shysters.

You wanna talk shysters?

How about the mortgage industry?

How 'bout Bear Sterns?

And the Fed is stumbling over its own feet trying to rescue these bastards.

Those, my friend, are shysters.

flaco

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
If you only knew the history behind those boys..................If and only if I suppose. You'd run like hell.

Shyster is an understatement.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured it might be worth getting over my sloth to update this thread.

As expected, we received our order from TPS.

They delivered 18 out of the 20 ring sets we ordered; the remaining two are on back order.

Yep, they're very slow, and they're disinclined to communicate.

But they manufacture an excellent product at a good price.

To put this in perspective, it would take me a while to list the vendors--some of whom frequent this site--that are glacially slow.

And I wouldn't want to embarrass them.

Many of these are favorites of the contributors here, who know who they're dealing with.

So... it's almost an industry standard.

We deal with TPS by trying to avoid selling their products when we don't have them in stock, and placing large orders.

And not getting our panties in a wad when they're slow to deliver.

I hope the Italian firm received the products they ordered, too.

flaco

N.B. As a sidenote, I'm a little surprised by tiggerguard1's comment.

He's been the target of enough brickbats on this site that I'd expect him to avoid encouraging the lynch mob.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I find it amazing, that this could have been completely avoided had TPS just talk to their customers. Why is that, so difficult? Return an email, or God forbid answer the phone. Tell the truth. What a concept!

I guess making a good product allows you a great deal of latitude when dealing with those who buy your products? When you get around to making some of those products.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you used the U.S. Postal service (mail) contact the U.S. Postal Inspectors Office.

If you used a Credit Card or Bank Money Order contact the U.S. Secret Service.

Both should be able to help you. This sounds criminal and not civil.

Rustystud

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote