THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

? Best recoil lug mounting epoxy? JB Weld?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have any suggestions for mounting a recoil lug in a synthetic stock? I have used JB Weld before and it seems like pretty tough stuff I have also heard Devcon makes a liquid steel product. Any thoughts? Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NorthSniper, the only difference between JB Weld and products like Steel Bed and an epoxy like Brownell's Acraglass is the looks and the cost. It is not metal, it is epoxy with metal filings. They say you can machine it, well you can the other epoxies too. You are looking for an epoxy glue, that is where the desirable characteristics come from, not from the sprinklings of metal dust incorporated into the matrix.

I have use a number of different ones in the past. Epoxy mend was a good one but they are out of business. MarineTex used to be good but it has so much junk filler in it that it has become brittle and lacks the strength of good epoxies.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i assume you mean to make the attachment point on the STOCK... devcon will be fine, as will any of the brownells products...

jb weld coudl do it, i guess, but ....

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Brownnells glass. I have never had good luck fixing any thing with JB weld always seems to brittle to me. If you want to do it right go with Brownnells bedding products.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Devcon epoxy puttys, doesn't run as much.

I've also used Microbed when I want to keep the appearance wood-like. good stuff.

Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody know what the Devcon products name is? Devcon Liquid steel? Devcon liquid weld?

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
There is a difference in tensile and compressive strength among the various products out there [viz., Marine Tex, Acraglass, Devcon Plastic Steel, Devcon Titanium putty, etc.] The differences are not very much. And I don't know that they matter one bit in practical application. [I used to have the numbers, but no longer have them. You can do the research on the web yourself if you want to. It's pretty time consuming. The only product I absolutely could not find tensile and compressive strength numbers on was "Liquid Steel", the stuff that comes in two separate squeeze tubes, red and black in color].

The stuff with the best numbers I've seen [by quite aways] is Devcon Titanium putty, but it is expensive as heck. Devcon also makes a stainless steel putty. I am pretty sure Devcon supplies this to Brownell's, which then labels it as "Steel Bed" [and also marks up the price substantially]. The Devcon and Brownell products look and smell identical.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the standard epoxys. I really like Devcon Plastic Steel in the two barrel syringe. It is very convenient. It is just a tad less viscous than I would like, but you can thicken it a bit with milled cotton, fiberglass fibers or powdered steel if you want [its really not necessary and it contains powdered steel anyway].

Everyone has a different opinion on what works best. Hope this helps.

Jordan

<Jordan>
posted
Whoops! The product I could not find data on [the one that comes in two tubes, red and black] was "JB Weld", not "Liquid Steel". See my post above for context.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorthSniper:
Anybody know what the Devcon products name is? Devcon Liquid steel? Devcon liquid weld?

Devcon Steel Putty, Steel Liquid, Aluminum Putty and Aluminum Liquid. I get it from Graingers but MSC probably has it.

Rob

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O.K. Devcon plastic steel, now what do you guys use for a release agent? Thanks for all the help [Smile]

posted Hide Post
NorthSniper: Try some PVA (poly vinyl alcohol).

Fiberglass part builders use this liquid to release parts on rough molds when they dont have time to wax them properly.

You can spray it on with a small gun or brush it on.
Just make sure that everything is coated well and the PVA is "DRY" before you slap it into the epoxy/glass bedding, or it will be a permanent bond of metal to wood/synthetic. Not a good thing to have. [Frown]

PVA washes off with water, but is impervious to any and all solvents/bedding compounds that I know of. Unless it a water bassed filler which will desolve the PVA.

As I dont know of any water based fillers/bedding agents that are out there, us of PVA will do the trick.

Bolt

Posts: 18 | Location: Humboldt, Ks | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Brownell's release agent in an aerosol can is the best I've found. I've used was sometimes, but it is more labor intensive than merely spraying on Brownell's release agent. The PV release agent [like the stuff sold in Brownell's acraglass kit] leaves a thin vinyl skin between the metal and bedding compound, but the skin is somewhat delicate when you're nestling the barreled action down into the goo, handling it, etc. Just get the Brownell aerosol release agent, or its equivalent.

Jordan

<Jordan>
posted
The first line of my last post should have read "I've used wax sometimes..."

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Luckily I was able to find a Brownells acraglass kit localy so this is what I plan on using. I got the recoil lug out what a pain in the ass hope this thing goes back to 1/2" groups after all this work! [Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
JB does not give the compression strength of JB Weld:
http://www.jbweld.com/coldweld.html

They do give compression data for water weld at 12 kpsi:
http://www.jbweld.com/waterweld.html

Devcon gives compression for Plastic Steel Liquid and putty as 10k and 8 kpsi.
http://www.devcon.com/devconcatsolution.cfm?catid=34

And I was putting Devcon behind the recoil lug and JB under the scope mountsFrowner

It makes me think the steel filler is for co efficient of expansion or dissimilar metals.

[ 11-12-2003, 19:15: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best release agent that I have found is the plain old aerosal can of PAM. Thats right the same stiff that you spray in a pan before cooking eggs.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote