New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentine v. Sears FN
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, for arguements sake, and since it is election day and all, here is a question: you have a nice 1909 Argentine and an equally nice FN (aka Sears 50)...you want to build a .30-06 to go with a .375 Whitworth...a pair to use "on trips," so to speak...Which to choose???? Any reasons??? Thanks for the information....Arthur

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Since you want a pair, the Sears 50 would match the Whitworth cosmetically. They would/could be near twins.

Assuming both actions were equally sound, and that the 1909 was a DWM, I'd pick the 1909. Just my preference.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1909. For one reason, I very much prefer the thunb slot in the military action.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arthur,
I would pick the 09. Why? Because I have 9 or 10 of them and if I had one FN, right now it would be the only one and I would hate to see it "gone" so to speak. Okay, if I had the 09 pile whittled down to a one on one situation, I would go with the FN, because I like the looks of the action without the thumb slot.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

I bet they all have gorgeous wood on them too, damn showoff, rubbing my nose in it. Not right, you should send half those 09's to me!

I have two FN's, they are very pretty (although I found out recently one of them is the one with the hole spacing such that I can't get off the shelf bases) but I personally prefer the argentine, I love the way they look, I have a pristine action sitting in the safe waiting for some money and a plan. (meaning some time in the far far distant future.)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I would pick the FN first also, unless the lack of a c-ring bothered you too much. You really can't go wrong with either.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red,
No the 09's I have are in a drawer and are only actions at present. Just eggs and flour waiting to become a cake, lol.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the 09, but I could be perfectly happy with either.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote