New
Find
Notify
Tools

bluing barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting ready to rust blue a new barrel; I've done small parts before that turned out fine, but what do I do about the bore and chamber? Seems to me that getting the compound in the bore would be a no no.

Appreciate any suggestions.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use the steaming method no particular care is needed as long as you don't let the chemical get in the bore. If you want to be super sure then you can swab the chamber and bore with a mop saturated with lacquer. Then remove with lacquer thinner after bluing.

Bob
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster, could you give an example of exactly what "lacquer" is best.
Seems like the term is used fairly loosely to describe varnish, polyurethane, etc etc.
Thanks.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i just used to use basically whatever spray paint clear i had to hand .. dries fast, comes out with "lacquer" thinner fast..

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto that. I use an auto clear lacquer I get at my local auto parts store. Saturate the mop and coat the bore and chamber. Coat the crown too if you don't want that blued.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i just used to use basically whatever spray paint clear i had to hand .. dries fast, comes out with "lacquer" thinner fast..

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do nothing but avoid getting acid in the bore. Steam as bob said and get your acid from him too; he makes several formulas of it. No need for coating the bore with anything; it won't rust. I made my steamer from an old pressure cooker; no pressure of course; it has 5 inch holds drilled in the lid, but it has a heavy lid to bolt the PVC pipe to.
Done many of them.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several that were not plugged and I saw nothing that was hurt. I run a brush and patch through it and go for it.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Bobster's solution. Looks like all I have to do is get my nerve up!

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Jerry- If I can do it, anyone can do it. BTW, Bob's bluing mix is awesome!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I have several that were not plugged and I saw nothing that was hurt. I run a brush and patch through it and go for it.

I don't plug or coat, never had a problem. I patch and dry the bore when it comes out of the boil/steam bath.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Rust bluing set up for $100. I started in 1960 probably before must of you were born using a home made mix of Baker's #1 ??. The old method of using a tank of boiling water and suspended parts in the tank to rust was a hard way. The above set up was made a couple of years ago and it a much better way with almost too easy to rust blue guns. I used Brownells bluing mixture
I thought some people may want to make a set up.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Brooks - what are you using for a carding wheel? Can you give us a few details of you set uo? Thanks, Ron

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any potential damage to the bore doesn't happen when you boil or steam.
It is during the rusting phase when microscopic action of the acid "fume" and damp box humidity can take place.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the stainless wire wheel from Brownell's with a cheap Harbor Freight 3/8 drill motor at about 500 rpm's. I used clean steel wool also in areas when the brush couldn't reach. Hot water with dawn dish soap to clean all oil off before starting the rust bluing. I wish I had made a steam pipe set up years ago. Look at Bobster's site for more details on rust bluing. The fellows on this forum have a lot of good ideas.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just an interesting bit of data .. "plum brown" turns BLACK after boil/steaming Quickly .. try it on some scrap, or, like i did, on cheap turk actions

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would check with Bob that there is no mercury in his solution ... unless you enjoy chemotherapy. Even if you do, it's hellish expensive.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Bob's stuff all the time; no mercury. What we used to handle all the time in third grade is now treated same as enriched plutonium.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I use Bob's stuff all the time; no mercury. What we used to handle all the time in third grade is now treated same as enriched plutonium.

Tom, I had a pint bottle of mercury when in the 9th grade. I turned a lot of pennies silver. I guess my skin was too tough or maybe I won't live to 100yrs.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, we could have been brilliant gunsmiths if we had not used quick sliver to make the money shine, not to mention the lead BB's in my WW11 Ben 312 air rifle that I would place them in my mouth to make them shot harder. I don't know about you , but I am going for 100 yrs and am well on my way. The Golden Years, Ha Ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Butch, we could have been brilliant gunsmiths if we had not used quick sliver to make the money shine, not to mention the lead BB's in my WW11 Ben 312 air rifle that I would place them in my mouth to make them shot harder. I don't know about you , but I am going for 100 yrs and am well on my way. The Golden Years, Ha Ha

Les, I'm 77 and looking forward to the century mark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the boat business most of my life- we operated under the theory that real men don't wear ear protectors or breather masks!

jmbn
Old and in the way

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow I must be a real man! but Im all but deaf so guess that doesn't count, but my deafness is from all maner of guns going off and the only hearing aid we were issued were loaded 38 specials, one in each ear..After 40 year so go bangs of every kind, it took its toll, and since most of the time I was the go banger with all the biggest of big bores I have a bitch of a case of Bursitas in my neck and shoulders..If Ihad it all to do over Id use a 22 L.R. and just get closer!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote