New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom Metal for Remington 721
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington 721 in 300 H&H. It will not longer feed from the magazine properly. It probably needs a new follower spring.

It would be great to use a Rem 700 bottom metal for this rifle. Will it fit OK? If so, what would be a good source for one?

Any suggestions on how to fix the feeding issue? It wants to feed two cartridges at once.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago I replaced the bottom metal on my 721 with mod 700. Took little bit of fitting as I had to trim the 721 magazine box to fit. Get the 700 mag box too if you can.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use the model 700 mag box, follower and bottom metal. The last set I bought I got from Redhawk Rifles, but Midway and Brownells have them too.

The standard/magnum mag box is correct for your .300 H&H.

All that said, the stock inletting is completely different between the two. I don't know if you can inlet a 721 stock to fit the 700 metal and end up with no gaps or not.

You can use a 700 stock with complete bottom metal and put the 721 in that with minor fitting at the tang.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm not great at doing a good job of inleting, not sure if I'll proceed with the 700 bottom metal as this rifle came out of the Remington custom shop and has really nice wood.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
9 bucks
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...005042068?pid=684265

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you think it is a follower spring, why not focus on that instead of something unrelated, like a 700 bottom?
Or send it to someone who can trouble shoot the real problem.
It is common with any issue for humans to immediately start implementing courses of actions (random parts replacement) before they identify the actual problem. I see it on guns, and engines, all the time.
It feels like progress, but it isn't and often results in frustration and no resolution.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feeding doesn't just change its mind. Did you change the bullet style or OAL? With a belted ctg, be sure to stack them properly fully to the rear in the mag. If the belts "catch" on each other they may try to double feed. If the spring is weak that would normally manifest itself on rounds 3 and 4, not rounds 1 and 2.

I do agree that there is an ugly/cheap factor with the 721 bottom metal. Too bad, it's a good rifle.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMEN, DPCD...As you know I just went through that scenario, never again.

I might add, especially in gun work, if it ain't broke don't fix it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So true. Spent today gunsmithing 4 H&R single shot shotguns and rifles. In each case the owner or 'smith tried to correct "snapping". I found ground hammers, ground trigger extensions, and buggered sears. Nobody figured out the real problem. Had weld up two trigger extensions and re-cut. The first and third needed a new hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
If you think it is a follower spring, why not focus on that instead of something unrelated, like a 700 bottom?
Or send it to someone who can trouble shoot the real problem.
It is common with any issue for humans to immediately start implementing courses of actions (random parts replacement) before they identify the actual problem. I see it on guns, and engines, all the time.
It feels like progress, but it isn't and often results in frustration and no resolution.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote