New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock duplication back in business
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought on cheekpieces, here is my take on them. I like them short, just what it takes to be in the right place for your face. I like to do something at each end to "dress them up". Here's a photo of one I did a while back; I posted a thread as i was doing this stock.

I wish I had duplicated this stock for a pattern before I sanded it; I really like that rifle.

I could still duplicate it, but hard to not dent it and do a good job of duplicating it close.

dave

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ron
Wish I had a couple small ring or intermediate Mausers. I "THOUGHT" there was a small ring 98 that was the same oal as the larger ring that could be cut with the front ring area uncut.

If I could get access to a couple small or intermediate to copy I could cut the owner a deal. Wink

Dave I actually made patterns from those two finished rifles stocks with no markings. Set the duplicator balance for a negative contact pressure, use a nylon guide, put a heavy coat of wax or layer the stock with a layer of tape.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
ramrod...Been under the weather the past week. Thanks for your opinion. I still like the point into the grip. It doesn't look long to me, just a bit fat at the bottom. The Erfurt Mausers or Kar98 as they are marked on the side of the action are small ring M98's. Only the ring diameter is slightly smaller than the standard 98. Bolt, bottom metal are same dimensions. I forget about barrel threads. FWIW, I have a Mexican intermediate pattern 1910/1936 I might let go of. Needs more shaping, butt is chipped and there is no cheek piece. Barrel channel is #3 or 4. It'd be a good basis. Ray

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote