Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite oil
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
WD-40-ultra thin!!
It likes hanging around my guns more than any other oil-I wonder why???

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not used the ultra-thin but I will tell you regular wd-40 is about the worst thing you could possibly use on guns. Once the solvents evaporate off you are left with a sticky varnish like substance that gums up and causes things to stick.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not used the ultra-thin but I will tell you regular wd-40 is about the worst thing you could possibly use on guns. Once the solvents evaporate off you are left with a sticky varnish like substance that gums up and causes things to stick.

tu2 Add a touch of gun powder residue and it gets worse. Had a friend all he used was WD40 in his Auto 5. Gummed up so bad I had to take every piece apart to clean it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
It also is bad about penetrating under the wood and making it soft.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
WD 40 is not "oil" in the definition of gun owners. It is, at best, a solvent and light rust preventative.
For it to be a gun oil, it needs some better lubicative properties; WD40 is basically kerosene and paraffin wax, both of which are not good gun lubes. Now, it is good stuff for some uses, but not for a gun oil. The wax it leaves behind is not a good lube.
I use CLP for everything. US Army approved.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ATF.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I erroneously placed this in the gunsmithing forum instead of the gun cleaning forum.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you use it for cleaning, which I sometimes so, you must wipe it all off and replace it with a real lubricating oil or you will have a gummy mess, and no lubrication.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am out of EEZOX, but liked that stuff. I've had poor luck with WD-40, but was unaware of the "Ultra Thin" version.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16646 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have not used the ultra-thin

Like you I thought maybe they had come up with a second version. A little research and that is simply how Brownell described it in their test. There is only one WD 40. Went to the WD40 website to make sure.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you remember what Jewel said about lubricating his triggers? He said to just rinse with lighter fluid.Now what part of the rifle do you want lubricated with a thick film of oil-none.Thin and dry are the two important things to keep in mind,IMO.As far as rust proofing,WD-40 will keep things rust free,for a few days until you need to apply again-just like any other liquid oil.If you want to go long term rust free then you need a gel or grease.A gel or grease however wont be good on fine moving parts or mechanisms.Thick oil is no good for lubricating fine mechanism or areas where extreme lubrication (such as a cars engine)is not needed.A thin oil will also penetrate and move into areas that a thicker oil cannot get to.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yes but WD40 is not oil.

I have a five gallon bucket of SSL46 it's turbine oil, very thin, It's a ISO VG 46 or about a 15-20wt oil, very heat resistant, highly anti oxidant and above all free to me.

I live on the coast of California and it's gets mildly humid here. and if I don't keep thing with a coat of oil on them they will rust and quick especially after handling

Best gun oil around as far as i'm concerned.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I have not used the ultra-thin

Like you I thought maybe they had come up with a second version. A little research and that is simply how Brownell described it in their test. There is only one WD 40. Went to the WD40 website to make sure.

The web page must be out of date. Today the local fleet store had two packs of "WD" on sale, one of the standard one a second "new" that included silicone. The can was grey. No mention of light weight.

Some think oil is oil. There are different weights and adatives but it is all still just petroleum distillates. wD is not oil. It is a water displacement solvent. The original formula had a volatile component that worked in a pinch as a starting fluid, similar to ether, but that was dropped years ago. more than a few snowmobile engines were started with WD back before fuel injection and electronics took the fun out of that activity. Some guys preferred it because they thought it scrubbed the cylinder walls less than straight ether, but it really had marginal lubricating benefits.

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I still use common sewing machine oil. I buy it for about $30 per gallon at a local sewing machine service shop. 25 years ago I told the girls working there that I repaired Chicago typewriters. They still haven't figured it out and they still think I'm a typewriter repairman. I'm not going to come right out and say they aren't firing on all cylinders, but when was the last time you saw a typewriter? Smiler

I have been told that it is 10 weight mineral oil and never hardens. There are many brands of it. I mostly use 7401 which is just an industrial product number we get here. I have also used White Lily and Singer. They all seem the same to me.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The Army has spent a lot of time and money testing lubricants and they still use CLP, which is all I use since it was invented; from 120mm Tank Cannons to M16s.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
ATF.

great choice

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The web page must be out of date. Today the local fleet store had two packs of "WD" on sale, one of the standard one a second "new" that included silicone. The can was grey. No mention of light weight.

My bad.

WD40 has a number of products. Silicon, lithium, degreaser, contact cleaner penetrating oil.
http://wd40.com/products

They simply don't make a different "WD40" for lack of a better description. The OP simply pulled the "ultra-thin" from the Brownell test he included in his post.

dpcd, you need to help us no military out. Big Grin

I've been using "break free" for years and love it. I'm sure someplace along the line I forgot the CLP part. Roll Eyes coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
eezox for a while, Light machine oil; aka sewing machine oil is good, I like One Shot too, doesn't smell as bad a eezox

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
ATF.

great choice

I disagree with the use of ATF as a rust preventative.

I did a test about 5 years ago. I used the stubs from talley bolt handles and protected them with: Eezzox, Sheath, Spray olive cooking oil and Chevron ATF(Dextron). I left them in the rain for several days.

Bottom line: Eezzox won by a landslide and performed great. Sheath and Olive oil were more-or-less tied and provided good protection. The ATF came in a distant last. It performed horribly as a rust preventative.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a review of eezox on midway.
[URL=Eezox is not "dry" at all. In fact, it is one of the most oily/greasy substances I have ever used on my weapons. I don't know what people's idea of "Dry to the touch on guns in use or stored" is, but my idea of what a dry oil or protectant should be is that it should actually be DRY TO THE TOUCH ON GUNS IN USE OR STORED, and not leave a wet vasoline-like layer on the metal, even when wiped down and left to "soak-in" for three days. Dry, this stuff ain't.]a[/URL]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to lubricating and conserve for long time I am sold on Ballistol. It does not evaporate to a sticky glue (as WD-40) and seems non-toxic..german army issue 1905-1945..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistol

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
ATF.

great choice

I did a test about 5 years ago. I used the stubs from talley bolt handles and protected them with: Eezzox, Sheath, Spray olive cooking oil and Chevron ATF(Dextron). I left them in the rain for several days.

Bottom line: Eezzox won by a landslide and performed great. Sheath and Olive oil were more-or-less tied and provided good protection. The ATF came in a distant last. It performed horribly as a rust preventative.

I think we're talking about oil, not a rust preventative.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:
ATF.

great choice

I think we're talking about oil, not a rust preventative.

The OP linked to a study of rust preventatives. I thought that is what this thread was about.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WD has a place for guns works well after having your firearm out in the rain or other very wet conditions.

There are other oils better for lub and storage.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
My favorite oil

WD-40-ultra thin!!
It likes hanging around my guns more than any other oil-I wonder why???

its George - I took him at his word, on gun oil, and I know he isn't a big AR shooter,,,

ATF, for a general gun oil, aint a bad choice ..

Jeffe's purple nerple is better
atf (royal purple)
kerosene
brake fluid
0 weight motor oil (royal purple)
wd-40

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
When I come home with a firearm which has been drenched, I field strip it and go over it with W(ater)D(isplacer) 40. Then I wipe it as dry as I can befored cleaning it again with classic solvents. Finally, I'll oil moving parts with a lubricant and coat exposed metal with a rust protector.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father and I have been using WD-40 for over 35 years on both over and under and semi-auto shotguns.We used it alone to clean the bores,the rest of the shotgun and for rust protection.We still own those guns today and they function great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in my gun collecting days I ran across a lot of folks who also believed in WD-40. Would always require a serious soaking in solvents followed by lots of brushing to remove the varnish and sticking mechanisms. Guess that's why so many guns were a steal.

My go to oils today are Eezox and One Shot for storage and Butch's gun oil for general light oiling and RIG for everything else.

Also to avoid any confusion, ATF is a lubricant and not a rust inhibitor. Big difference. In fact, ATF is slightly hygroscopic. No Bueno...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have treated all of my guns with Eezox. Both inside the barrel and outside. I put it on sparingly then wipe it dry as a rust preventative, metal treatment. For the lubrication of slides, semi auto bolts, cylinder cranes etc. I use Amsoil 5w-20. It must have a very good detergent package because it wipes off clean, never gums, at least not in my lifetime, and the parts move slick like they are supposed to.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, one review from Midway is some idiot that sprayed it on for hours and never wiped it off. I will stick to Eezox. It just works.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
And who knows what the term WD-40 stands for?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
And who knows what the term WD-40 stands for?

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th Attempt, because that's how many times it took to perfect the product

coffee What do I win?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
PM me your address, I will send your prize...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
quote:
W(ater)D(isplacer) 40

As stated in my post above dd. 04/14 old

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've used ATF for years and it works for me. I also drive a Ford, while others drive Chevys; in the end they both get us around.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
As stated in my post above dd. 04/14 AndréDRSS

yep only thing missing was the 40th attempt.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is my preferred gun oil for as long as my supply last's. It's great for the metal and the stock.
https://flic.kr/p/raUMA4

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote