THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding the LVSF .17 (am I up a creek??)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
After being advised that it may be better to remove the front "pips" on the stock of the LVSF to improve accuracy, I think I've bitten off more than I can chew.
I removed the "pips" and the barrel just sat in the channel. I sanded with a 28mm dowel and paper. The barrel still layed on the base of the channel. I sanded yet more. I've sanded a fair few milimeters off and the problem is still there and I don't want to take any more material off as the front swivel stud is now proud of the channel. The barrel would rest on that if I screwed the stud in completely.
I have noticed that the recoil lug is tiny in comparison to the channel it sits in it is probably 1/2" deeper 1/8" wider and 1/3" deeper than the lug itself.
I am not competant or have the tools to completely bed the action, but if I build the lug channel up with resin, would this give me a better chance of getting the barrel clear of the channel and improve the accuracy??

Or do I bin the stock and get a new one?

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not experienced at bedding just find a smith that does it for a living. You will be happier in the long run. You could just order and H-S precision stock whick would not be much difference in cost as compared to pillar bedding.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I guess the first question is; Have you ever glass bedded a stock? If so, my recommendation is to run a layer of tape from the breech to a point past the forearm. Then, wrap tape around the barrel so that when resting in the stock, the barrel appears at half-depth in the barrel channel. Tape off the bottom, sides and front of the recoil lug so that it has clearance except at the rear where it should bare on the bedding compound. At this point, glass bed the receiver and the barrel. When it sets up remove the tape and the barrel should be floating and the receiver should be at it's proper position in the stock.
If you have never done this, take it to a competant smith or a shooting buddy who has done it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote