New
Find
Notify
Tools

inletted blank for CZ 550 Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to put together a rifle on a 550 action. I want to use a large almost untapered barrel so I will need a stock with a large wide fore end to accommodate the barrel.

I would like a drop in synthetic but I can't find one that has a fore end large enough to accommodate the barrel that I want to use.

Any suggestions?

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matrix Gunsmithing built a pair of 550 Magnum , the Shirley cartridge,
Using B&C cz 550 drop in stock. I oversized the standard barrel contour
20/1000 in the barrel channel and once passed the forearm, used a straight
Barrel to the muzzle for a 0.825” diameter.
This all added about 6oz.

Posts: 356 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Inletted Blank"?? Contradictory terms when it comes to synthetics. I've seen inletted wood blanks, ready to shape, but never an inletted synthetic, ready to shape. I have seen pre-shaped synthetic stocks that need to be inletted. But, I take it you want a 'drop-in'. It has been years since I bought from McMillian, but if they inlet for the 550, they'll make you a 'drop-in' stock. McMillian used to offer un-inletted , but shaped, stocks. You could go that route, but then comes the inletting!

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For Inletted blanks with fat forearms, I use Richards. They aren't plastic though. I think they use that ancient material we used to call, wood. Hunters from the Paleolithic era of the 1990s used it. It has fallen from favor, much like the obsidian spear and the atlati.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen Thank you for your responses. I think one of those routes will get me where I need to go.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slivers:
"Inletted Blank"?? Contradictory terms when it comes to synthetics. I've seen inletted wood blanks, ready to shape, but never an inletted synthetic, ready to shape. I have seen pre-shaped synthetic stocks that need to be inletted. But, I take it you want a 'drop-in'. It has been years since I bought from McMillian, but if they inlet for the 550, they'll make you a 'drop-in' stock. McMillian used to offer un-inletted , but shaped, stocks. You could go that route, but then comes the inletting!

I think MPI used to offer this - this is NO PROMOTION of MPI stocks, as I found them odd, ugly, and inconsistent

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38593 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, MPI offered 'blanks' that were shaped and way over inletted that required lots of glass work and paint to finish. Brown Precision offers blanks that need to be finished, also. There can be considerable work involved with either, Brown Precision being the 'better' (and easier to complete) of the 2 mentioned. No doubt of better overall construction and quality of materials, too (Brown Precision).

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could try Wayne at American Hunting Rifles. He has a synthetic stock he uses.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bansner and Company, in Pa., also can supply synthetic "blanks". But I see no listing for the 550. They do make a "Classic" design for the M98. I have used Bansner in the distant past (20yrs ago, or so) and was satisfied with the blank(s) I bought from them. As always, a synthetic "blank" takes time and effort to complete.