New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fast and Slow Barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have heard people speak of fast and slow rifle and pistol barrels.I know the slow barrels are out of spec but I've always wondered were they generally too tight and causing extra friction or too loose and letting some of the expanding gases pass by the bullet?Thanks in advance for your help.

Brair .

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I was given 5 Mannlicher rifles, identical in every respect, brand new in their boxes, and 5 scopes to install and site.

All were in 270 Winchester, ammo with them was Norma.

I was amazed at the difference in velocity between them.

The fastest was 150 fps faster than the slowest!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Should we assume that those 'fast' barrels have tighter dimensions and would be frustrating to reload for because pressure signs would appear with lower loadings?

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know the slow barrels are out of spec

They are most likely all with in spec.

Just different

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I've often wondered about this. Some in depth
research is required to accurately answer this question.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Not really sure how would one go about researching this.

I posted the example above because it is very easy to see.

I have had many rifles, using the same cartridge, the same length barrels, and give different velocities.

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This is one of those phenomenon that, although a real thing, has never been scientifically researched. Saeed is the only one who has any real data that I have seen; everything else is random observations based one barrel.
Out of spec barrels; unlikely. And to do a real study it would take $299K and three years to do it; take a sample of ten barrels from each maker, including factory ones. All in the same caliber, and all identical in length. Do a rigorous test protocol. All ammo from the same lot of course.
Then when you are done wasting all the money, you will have some data over which to ponder. I predict, useless practical data, but testing is like that. Decisions can then be made from the data gained.
I will initiate the test once the sponsor sends me a check.
Note that it happens, is not due to out of spec barrels because accuracy does not suffer, and you can't control it.
Shoot them. It doesn't matter.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order to investigate the relative speed of projectiles in various barrels one would have to remove the variability of the cartridge = find a way to launch the projectile at a pressure/speed that is consistent shot to shot.

If the variant factors would be understood it might be possible to design and build barrels that are 'faster' - a good thing, I would think.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
I have an ole mauser that is slow and low. It is old new stock military...unknown maker. Velocities are 200 fps slower than listed, but adding more powder brings the velocity back to standard.

But my load is unsafe to use in other old 7x57s, it will lock the bolt up.

Never have slugged the barrel for diameter.

With the right powder, gun shoots better than some new ones.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have two factory rifles.

One is supposed to have higher velocity than the other, because it uses a bigger case and more powder.

But the smaller ones is actually faster???

These are a Weatherby Mk V in 30/378 Weatherby, and a Remington Sendero in 300 RUM.

I get more velocity from the 300 RUM than the 30/378??!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to see a test with strain gauge pressure readings, and laser measured bore and groove diameters along with chamber dimensions to .00005 or so. How to go about that, I have no clue, but as DPCD says, its just a matter of money. I'm not THAT interested...

My suspicion is that its relatively minute differences in the machining caused by multiple factors.

I would think it would be a slightly less tight bore with smoother/sharper rifling to reduce friction is the cause of the faster barrel.

I just would find it interesting if it is more a materials sciences issue or if it is an engineering issue.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Neither; it is sorcery.
However, I know a 100% reliable way to get more velocity, and we use it on the M256 Tank Cannon; we get over 5000 fps from them.
Make them Smooth Bore!. That pesky rifling slows down bullets more than you realize.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This isn't an apples to apples comparison but interesting none the less:

Bro and I built two 6.5 Creedmoors and his sports a 24" Lilja tube while mine proudly wears a much faster 26" Bartlein barrel. Reality is that with the identical load, his 24 is faster than my 26!!!
Hand weighed brass, powder, bullets, you name it, we do it.

Is mine or is his out of specs? I suspect neither and since they both shoot so damn well, we'd never change a thing.

I'm a believer that some barrels are just faster while some are just slower and I don't care to spend the money to find out why.

Maybe it's the same reason guys will buy several barrels, chamber them all, shoot them, and only keep a couple of them out of the pile they bought. Some shoot better than others!

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
Throat, Throat and Throat.
Did I mention the Throat?

Same barrel, 2 chambers. 26" with throat .004 over bullet diameter and 25" with throat .0005 over bullet diameter. Same batch of reloaded ammo (RP case, WLR primer, 61.5gr ReL-19, 150gr NBT), 26" 10 shot average 2675fps, 25" 10 shot average 2995fps.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course; if everything is not the same, including the throat, no comparison is valid. One of your barrels is an apple; the other a tomato.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over 300 FPS more.Wow.
I remember Ray Atkinson once said he had never seen a slow custom barrel.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Throat, Throat and Throat.
Did I mention the Throat?

Same barrel, 2 chambers. 26" with throat .004 over bullet diameter and 25" with throat .0005 over bullet diameter. Same batch of reloaded ammo (RP case, WLR primer, 61.5gr ReL-19, 150gr NBT), 26" 10 shot average 2675fps, 25" 10 shot average 2995fps.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Of course; if everything is not the same, including the throat, no comparison is valid. One of your barrels is an apple; the other a tomato.

IF I AM READING TAILGUNNERS POST CORRECTLY(?????) he is talking about a single barrel that was chambered with a lose throat and tested, then rechambered with a tighter throat and tested again.

If I read that correctly(he did say “same barrel”) then it is pretty darn interesting.

I would love to see someone do that same procedure, but in reverse: start with a tight throat and test, then cut a looser throat and retest.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

dpcd
JBrown has it, right. The barrel was shortened 1" at the breach end and re-chambered.
I didn't do it as an experiment, it was a new 26" barrel to replace a shot out 21". Only way to salvage the tube was to chop off 1" and re-thread/re-chamber.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brair:
Over 300 FPS more.Wow.

1st guy was a "run in a rental reamer and take the money and run" guy.
2nd guy was a "take pride in my work" gunsmith.

I'd bet money that Ray A was also dealing with / is the second type of gunsmith.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sorry; I don't actually read the questions before posting answers; it is quicker that way.
However, It still does not show that the "barrel" was fast or slow; relative to other barrels; it proves that the chamber throat has an impact on the velocity; different scenario entirely.
Again, of course, if you change a parameter, the comparison takes a path other than barrels. Interesting though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot two .358 STA’s both customs, one from Winchester Custom Shop the other with a Lilja custom barrel. The Lilja barrel is consistently 50-75 fps faster than the Winchester with the same loads. I also shoot two .223 Remington’s preparing them for Pdogs, both Savages with same length barrels, one is 50-100 fps faster than the other with same loads. I also shoot four .270 WSM’s, all Model 70 Winchester’s, one has a stainless barrel, the others have blue barrels and are all Limited Editions. The stainless barrel is consistently faster than the others and they all have different speeds. In my experience all barrels have their own personality and will reveal it if shot enough. My son and grandsons and a great grandson hunt with these rifles each fall. I gather the rifles up each winter and load and play with those loads spring and all summer with my Oehler 35-P and we are ready for the new hunting season. I show them on the targets where the bullets should hit with my shooting and their shooting is close enough to mine that we don’t have any problems in the field. This is how we do it for what it is worth. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be like a dog returning to its vomit, but do you guys find those fast barrels show pressure signs sooner when working up loads?

Posts: 5115 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over 300 FPS more.Wow.

After Ray owns them they always shoot faster and more accurately.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Sorry to be like a dog returning to its vomit, but do you guys find those fast barrels show pressure signs sooner when working up loads?

I think that is a great question. I would also like to hear the answer.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Over 300 FPS more.Wow.

After Ray owns them they always shoot faster and more accurately.

HAHAHHAHHAHHAH

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

I think that is a great question. I would also like to hear the answer.

i would expect that a fast barrel has less friction, from either being larger or smoother, or both - there's several dimensions to deal with in this, bore diameter, groove diameter, groove depth, steel surface finish, steel compounding, and all the angles and corners ...

but, that's just a guess on my part, leveraging smooth bore 22 and TANKS as mentioned above, to bracket the guess

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks jeffeosso,
that's an angle I had not thought of.

I was thinking that a tight barrel might give higher pressure, which could cause the powder to burn more efficiently, leading to higher velocity at the muzzle. But rather than signifying the best possible, such barrels could result as the tooling wears down.

Maybe you're right, though, as hopefully the barrels on custom rifles would be best quality and just right in dimensions.

Anyone, anyone?

one of us
posted Hide Post
P-dog,
Be glad to give you and Jeffe some lessons in improving a barrel for accuracy! called breaking in a barrel, polishing the bore out properly, and a few other magical tricks you probably wouldn't understand! rotflmo

But in reply to the poster, there are fast and slow barrels, Ive seen a bit more than 100 FPS in calibers of all kinds..Does it effect accuracy is determined by the barrel in question just like it would in a perfect barrel, for lack of a better word..

My personal take on the situation is: It is what it is and acceptable..If it makes any difference I don't know how you could tell because some barrels just shoot better than others not matter whatcha do..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote