New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boltface questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the magnum boltface on a .700-inch diameter bolt be hogged out to fit the .579-inch face of a 460 Weatherby Magnum? I have an MRC long action chambered for 300WSM. Feeds very poorly-- so bad, I shoot it only as a single shot gun. I want to cut the 460 cases to 2.440 inches long, form a 30-degree shoulder and neck the mouth to fit a .30-caliber bullet. I want to save my barrel. This will be a new round. The 300WSM case is .555 at the base datum; no other case works to wildcat this round. The 300RUM is too small by about .011 inches there, so it's not a candidate. The 460 is big enough-- it's .604 at the belt, which may be removed or just have the chamber cut to obviate it by .002 inches and have the round headspace on the shoulder. Any gunsmiths or machinists know the answer to my question? Thanks so much...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be opened up that much. I have a MRC long action I opened up for .416 Rigby which has the same case head diameter.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry that this is not your initial question, but have you thought of using either Rigby brass or 338 Lapua brass, as John has said, they're the same as the big Wby cases base size but should give more mag space, the Wby belt might compromise this. I'd say they might be easier to make feed better but there'll be a queue to bollock me for suggesting such a thing so I won't mention it. Wink
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, TmT and Shinzo, for your replies. I am using the visual comparator over at ammoguide.com to find a suitable candidate for this conversion. The belt on the Weatherby cases is really not needed; it was just a marketing ploy in the 1960s when the round came out to tell shooters the new round was so powerful, it had to have the belt. I can remove it or just cut the space for it a little deep and it's not part of the equation. I don't need to have three or four rounds loaded. I shoot bench-only with the gun and only then as an amusement. It's a toy, not a serious competition gun. Considering that TmT has done it, I now know it can be done. And now, back to research on how to actually make the brass. I think Rigby brass is available as a cylinder item?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem to open up the bolt face and feed rails for that conversion.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
weatherby and rigby bolt faces are NOT the same ... the rigby is SIGNIFCANTLY larger.. .590 vs .560, as the weatehrby brass is quite rebated.

Doesn't matter what the "old drawings" say, put calipers to brass.

Yes, a .700 can be opened up for either

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great information!

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
This will be a new round.

Yes and no! Have you ever heard of the .30/.378 Arch? It was the .378/.460 Weatherby case cut to 2.25" and necked to .30 cal. The problem you will run into is trying to neck the brass down without collapsing it. Dr. Arch did it hydraulically and it was quite a process. I ruined several boxes of very expensive .378 Weatherby cases without making one usaeable Arch case. For more info, check out Volumn II of Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders, page 442.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really can't believe all this BS about belted vs non belted cases. I never in 40 years saw a problem WITH a belt...doesn;t do a darn thing to either enhance or or cause feeding "problems" Oh Yeah! gun writers love to have something "new" to bash.

Without that, they would be out of a job! The fact is that a belt CAN be a secondary headspace option...not bad, and easily measured. The shoulder can be way off the map, but the belt will keep safety under control.

I'm neither advocating nor condemning the belt..., but Holland and Holland had a darn good reason to design the belt...that reason is still valid

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below is the sketch of the proposed round. I call it the 30-416. It's on a 416 case, shortened to 2.5 inches, shoulder diameter of .555 inches (same as base datum of a 300WSM) and a shoulder angle of somewhere near 30 degrees. Just slightly longer than a .30-06, not as long as a 300Win or 300RUM but larger in diameter. The idea is to totally wipe out the 300WSM chamber in the gun and cut a new one that's closer in tolerance than the SAAMI chamber there now, hopefully leading to greater accuracy. Being .400 inches longer than a WSM, feeding should not be a problem.

Image from ammoguide.com, a great place for megatons of tasty gun-related information. I have to give them the screen credit. Their Cartridge Creator is really cool. You can enter any or all of the dimensions, hit Display, and instantly see your inputs to .010 inches in accuracy. Neat!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of Siamese Mausers have been opened up for the .605 rim of the .45-70.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote