THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 7 Remington Magnum rebored to 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just heard that could be for sale one Ruger 7 Remington Magnum, stainless, almost half the price of the new one. I don’t need this rifle; however, I have itching for the long time for light 375 H&H with muzzle brake. Recently, I contacted Dave Gentry http://www.gentrycustom.com/about.html and was told that his brake will add just 1 db of noise level over normal barrel. Recoil should be reduced to 30-06 level.

Existing barrel will be rebored (much cheaper than a new one)

Question: Is 7 Rem. Mag. receiver long enough to accept 375 H&H, how about magazine, can existing one be modified or I have to get aftermarket one, or original 375.
Yes, I was thinking of one of standard 375 rifles, but I want control feed, stainless, no more than 7.5 lbs, something that wouldn’t flip me backward and still affordable. Thanks.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 39 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the recoil lug is larger on the .375, and that a conversion would run the risk of splitting the stock. I'll leave the truth of it to experts, however, as I don't own one.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
A bit off topic, but those dB measurements with and without muzzle brakes are bogus. Sound meters commonly available are designed for measuring environmental noise of a more continuous nature and don't respond accurately to a brief pulse like a gunshot. I'm sure the gentleman offering them is sincere about having those readings, but they just don't mean anything. You need good hearing protection to shoot it with or without the brake. People are definitely not going to want to be beside you when you fire the rifle with it on.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Richochet just said. It's equally unreliable when talking about the effectiveness of supressors.

The issue is also not the total decible level but the redirection of harmfull frequencies.

ALL brakes will degrade your hearing orders of magnitude faster than plain barrels and plain barrels are bad in themselves.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
376 Styer, may be a better and less costly option for what you are wanting to do.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sure... no brake...

$20 get the box from the RSM
$50 get a smith to cut the bolt stop
$150 get an new barrel
$100 get sights moved to new barrel (or buy them)
$100 have a smith mount new barrel
$100 bed
$100 have blued

_620 buck_

or, sell the 7 mag to me, add 250 bucks, and have an RSM in 375

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote