New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77 30/06 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a question for the more experienced riflemen.
I have an older Ruger 77 tang safety 30/06 that I had rebarreled by a gunsmith in Washington 4 years ago.I reload for all my rifles but this rifle has the present problem with factory ammo as well as reloads,reloads have never been maxed.
Super accurate and was rebarreled with a #5 contour Shilen Select and a match reamer was used.About 2 boxes of hand loaded 180 gr Partitions and 1 box of Federal blue box ammo later and I get a "hard bolt lift" like I over loaded it,it will extract but not smoothly like before.I can't see anything in the throat and have smoothed it up with flitz several times but the problem continues.I always keep my OAL at least .022 from groves.Any suggestions?

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dry fire it and see if the problem continues

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is your extractor 'tweaked' a bit? I would make sure it's not something very simple, something most of us overlook as we always expect the worst.

*Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid*

Posts: 80 | Location: Paha Sapa, SD | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dry fired and no problems,I also used a primered empty and fired it with no problems extracting.
I have removed many mauser style extractors as I have jeweled all my friends bolts.
I'll remove this extractor again and look for signs of binding like shinny spots.Are there any other sign on the extractor I should look at?
I was also told some gunsmiths don't always get the barrel tight enough and after getting the barrel hot from shooting, the barrel will tighten and reduce the head space.I don't know how that can happen as the gunsmith I used is a many years experienced gunsmith and his name and the barrel caliber seems like its in the same place.Does that even sound possible?
Thanks for the help guys.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote