THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Rebated Rims / Non-issue, To Be Avoided, To Be Sought After?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebated Rims / Non-issue, To Be Avoided, To Be Sought After?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
I am not talking about using an "Off The Rack" bolt actin Winchester, Remington, Ruger, etc. I mean if you are buying a []http://www.rifleactions.com] WFF HEIN or [ http://www.dakotaarms.com ] DAKOTA or other better made bolt rifle is the rebated rim cartridge to be avoided or is it irrelevant or should we want it more than a standard type [30-06] rim?
WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THE REBATED DESIGN ACCORDING TO WHOEVER FIRST CONCEIVED IT? [JEFFERY of England - SCHUELER of Germany?]

Choices:
AVOID REBATED RIMS
THERE IS NO DOWN SIDE TO REBATED RIMS
IT'S BETTER THAN STANDARD 30-06 TYPE RIM

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you should have the questions
"avoid rebated rims"
"there is a certain amount that doesn't matter"
"the 500 jeffe is too much"
"this is PII and if the gun feeds it don't matter"

PII - pursuit of irrelevant increments

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I am aware, rebated rims were designed to allow a certain bolt face to work without modification on a cartridge of slightly larger diameter than the bolt face. This is certainly true of the .284 Winchester (.500 body using a "standard" '06 bolt face of .473) and the Ultramag/WSM series with a "standard" rim the same size as a belted magnum, but with a fatter body. I've never seen any difficulties with rebated cases, and don't know why one would find cause to avoid them.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am aware of some feeding problems with cartridges with rebated rims when used in Controlled Round Feed actions. While it may have nothing to do specifically with the rebated rim, per se, the shorter WSM-type cartridges sometimes have a hard time making the "quick-turn" necessary to feed properly when gripped tightly by the extractor. (I'm awaare of no issues when used in Push Feed actions.)

Again, this might not have anything to do with the rebated rim - this failure to feed might occured with .308-style cartridges just as easily. It just happens that it was WSMs in M70 Classics that I heard about.

Becasue of this, I'd tend to avoid the short-fat and rebated rims in CRF actions. YMMV.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote