New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rick Jamison-WSM patent
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you would go to www.benchrest.com and view the thread in the gunsmithing column, you will find some interesting things not brought up on this forum. Particulary the post by Overbore. I believe that he is preparing to take on Mr. Jamison.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, it seems to me that his patent includes the .404 jeffrey cartridge. I may be wrong as I did not carefully examine all the info on the patent. Just saw the limits are from .22 caliber to .300 so it does not include it. Although he just patented a wildcat that a lot of people had been using for a long time.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WaffenfabrikHein
posted Hide Post
While hunting this past weekend, I was discussing this issue with my buddy who happens to be Chief Intelectual Property Counsel for a very large corporation. He says, it sounds like the patent is on the chamber not the cartridge, otherwise he would be after the ammunition makers not the gun makers. I have not studied the issue to great extent, but does this make sense?

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
anyone know what he is asking in royalities?

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Does anyone actually know anything for certain about this?

I've read just about every conceivable and conflicting story imaginable on this subject. When someone actually goes to court to challenge the patient is when we'll know, but until then we're all guessing it seems to me.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
karl, he has two patents one on the chamber and the other on the cartridge. I think we need to use one of the larger ones as a suppository on or in him. Reminds me of the old line. An innuendo is NOT an Italian suppository.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the latest reply by Mike Bryant on BR.Com. This is a very interesting! I have known Mike for a lot of years and will take what he says to the bank anytime.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had suspected all along that Winchester/USRAC/FN settled out of court because the plans to shut down the facility were already in the works, and knowing this the royalty agreement would be far less then the legal fees to fight the lawsuit. If they had plans to continue operations and produce many more rifles chambered for the WSM, I don't think they would have rolled over.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaffenfabrikHein: it sounds like the patent is on the chamber not the cartridge,

Am I missing something here? "the patent is on the chamber"? How in the hell does one obtain a patent for a hole in a piece of steel? Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
Originally posted by WaffenfabrikHein: it sounds like the patent is on the chamber not the cartridge,

Am I missing something here? "the patent is on the chamber"? How in the hell does one obtain a patent for a hole in a piece of steel? Confused

Don't know for sure but you could ask Spyderco how they got the one for the thumbhole opener in their knife blades..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

Don't know for sure but you could ask Spyderco how they got the one for the thumbhole opener in their knife blades..................DJ

Interesting question, DJ. I have a close friend who is a knife designer that works with folks like Benchmark, Spyderco, Gerber, etc. He tells me that a number of knife patents are in the courts as we speak, and the shake-out may change some things in that industry.......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand the Spyderco blade patent, it's a specific part to a patented item. So does this mean that Jamison's patent covers all gunbarrels chambered with a WSM hole or just the hole? BTW, I do believe that Jamison is one whole asshole.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Looks like Mr Jamison is trying to destroy the gun industry from the inside.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So,

Who has the patent on blowing hot air and sunshine up our asses? Real estate agents, or politicians seeking election?

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, We may never know the hole story other than Jameson being the ass end of it!........... Wink........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like Mr Jamison is trying to destroy the gun industry from the inside.

Nope,

He's just mad over that hair do he has been saddled with for the last forty years. Thanksgiving at his parents house is not a fun time.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me ask a question, may be dumb, but what the heck....did Jamison manufacture his own brass from scratch to make the cartridge or did he use an existing case and reform it? It would seem to me that if he reformed a case, the owner of the patent on the parent case could sue him for using their patented case for his design. Just wondering... Confused

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some of those cartridges look an awful lot like some of P.O. Ackley's designs. Maybe P.O.'s family should look into this.... ;o)

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Does anybody know how much he weaseled out of Winchester???
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by congomike:
Let me ask a question, may be dumb, but what the heck....did Jamison manufacture his own brass from scratch to make the cartridge or did he use an existing case and reform it? It would seem to me that if he reformed a case, the owner of the patent on the parent case could sue him for using their patented case for his design. Just wondering... Confused

Well, I am no patent lawyer, but I dont think there is a current patent on the parent case, the 404 Jeffery. Jamison formed his first .300 short mag from the .425 WR case and then very quickly dropped that for the 404 Jeff case. Both of these cases go back to the early 20th century and would have expired patents by the time Jamison wildcatted them I would think.

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aside from hurting the shooting sport as a whole by suing companies how does this guy make his money? Is he a writer? Let's not by the rags and let them know the reason. Is he on tv? we'll not watch the shows and let them know too.

He might not stop his activities, but chances are if enough people do written complaints the people he works for will get rid of his sorry ass and my guess is that this guy cares as much about publicity and his name being out there as he does about money.

I'm glad that chatfield/taylor, ackley and all the other guys that just cared about shooting and having a good time never patented their "ideas".

Let's just all do our best to turn his name into something synonymous with "cow turd". I imagine his meeting people going something like this.

"Hi, Rick Jamison", "Oh, you're that asshole!"

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Dago,

He was a gunwriter for Shooting Times. He's basically cooked his goose in the industry, as no-one will hire him.

While I have nothing against folks coming up with unique ideas, pattenting them, and suing big companies when their intellectual property is stolen, this sure doesn't seam to be the case hear. Yes, he put alot of time and effort into working up his wildcats, but they were far from unique ideas.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read the latest reply by Mike Bryant on BR.Com. This is a very interesting! I have known Mike for a lot of years and will take what he says to the bank anytime.
Butch

Hi Butch,
Could you send a link to Mike's post.
Thanks,
LD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LD, I hope that I am doing this properly. http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36950
You will need to go to the 3rd page.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a little more information for you. Below is the link to one of the Jamison Patents for the WSM cartridge.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Se...amison&RS=IN/jamison

Based upon what I read, here is my interpretation.

Overall Case length less than 1.855
Major case diameter at shoulder at least .53
Base to start of shoulder less than 1.325
Base to end of shoulder less than 1.59
Shoulder angle between 30 and 40 degrees
Rim Diameter greater than .5
Caliber between .22 and .30
No belt
No rebated rim.

Any cartridge built and offered for sale meeting this criteria would invalidate this patent.

Karl Webber
General Manager
wff Hein Firearms
www.rifleactions.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch and Karl,

Looks like the 9.3 WSM is still good to go Big Grin.

LD