Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Please - Trying to Identify Mystery Stock
 Login/Join

posted
I've had this stock for several years and have searched intensively to find what rifle action it was inletted for, with no success. It is obviously a factory made stock and date of production is the late 1960s/early 1970s. It is definitely not intended for a Husqvarna or a Howa action even though it has a Smith & Wesson buttplate. I have physically checked with those makes. Does anyone have an idea of what was intended to fit into it? Thanks A Million.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it's for a Husqvarna M-8000. The tang configuration (M70 Win style) and the angle cut for the safety are the keys.The M-8000 was introduced by Husky in (I think ) the late 60s and discontinued in a few years. S&W marketed some of these in the early 70s. There was also the M-9000, an up-graded 8000.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No, it does not work with either the Husqvarna 1640 or 1900 series actions. The front action screw in the Husqvarnas threads into the recoil lug. This stock is inletted differently for a rifle action where the front action screw and recoil lug are separate from each other. Husqvarna made S&W rifles from 1967 to 1970 then sold out to FFV Carl Gustaf which continued building the S&W rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like one of the Parker Hale's that were sold by the discount stores around here in the early '70's.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Being that is is a S&W stock I would bet that it is for a S&W 1500. Which was made by Howa - the same gun as the Weatherby Vanguard also. I dont have mine here to check but that would be my guess.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look like a Howa, which is a Sako copy and has a different tang. I vote that it is a Mossberg. Actually, that is a guess.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Interesting puzzle....let us see...

Not a Husky 1640 as it not for a Mauser action. It has a round front ring bedding surface like a Remington which should narrow the options. The Parker Hale option stops with the external appearance & checkering. again it is not for a Mauser action. I first thought it might be for the Tikka LSA 55 (sold in the US as the Ithaka 55) but that also has a flat bedding surface like the Mauser and Winchester.

Did Howa make this model in the 1970's??

The Mosberg option has some merit but those rifles may have been made by someone else & sold as Mosberg!

My guess is that it is a lower end maker.....

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input - the Mossberg is one I have not looked at yet and well worth researching. And, at least from the schematics I've examined, I don't think it is for a Howa.

Doing the research on this stock, I came across several references for varous gun makers who were courting S&W to use their rifles for the S&W brand, so I have wondered if this stock was possibly from a prototype or demonstration rifle. It originally came from the old Rifle Ranch in Montana and was sold off when they packed up and moved to Arizona.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could it be a BSA ?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The old Mossberg 800 looks similar. However I thought the safety was on the shroud and this looks like a cut in the stock for a safety. Aftermarket?

The mossberg 1500 was the Howa. I believe the BSA had the front screw in the lug.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yup, Mossberg 800 the safety is on the shroud and the front receiver ring has a flat bottom, so I don't think an 800 would fit. Will keep looking. Dimensionally, the stock looks like it might fit to a Ranger Arms Texas Magnum, except that rifle had a shotgun type crossbolt safety up in the trigger guard, so the safety inlet on the stock would have been unnecessary.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Just a thought.....could this be an after market stock for the older Remingtons ...like the 725, 722 or even the 600 or 660??? The round front ring area and the notch for the safety might fit???? It assumes that the S&W but plate is not an original but just an add on...

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am headed over to a friend who has some of the pre-700 Remington rifles and see what what happens. The S&W buttplate may well be a false clue in all this, but don't really know.

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Mauser model 99(not 98)or perhaps an FW heym.. I've never run across a Mauser 99 imported by S&W, but they have imported a bunch of different rifles.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
No clue here...So the only screw holding it in the stock is the front reciever screw?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
No clue here...So the only screw holding it in the stock is the front reciever screw?

I am puzzling over the same thing. Don't have a clue, either.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13482 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the rear screw area had it's web cut out between it and the trigger hole?

posted Hide Post
Well, took it to a collector in the area and we looked at Howa, Weatherby, Remington 721,722,725, Sauer, a couple of Voere models, and a Krico; none of these will fit. So, next step is to contact S&W and see if I can find someone who can answer what it fits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just was on the McGowan barrel website, and they are selling Mauser 8000's on special. They say they are made under the exclusive license for the old HVA and state that it is similar to the lod S&W. It looks like an exact fit except for the front screw location. Safety and rear tang look like an exact match. The floor plate has a high projection between the trigger and the magazine which would explain the web being cut out. I would suggest trying to locate a S&W HVA and see if it fits. It's possible that the S&W version had a different floorplate and screwed into the ower reciever. It may have been a short action model built on a standard length action, with the magazine shortened at the front.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote