THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Uh, Ohhh, now what? I.E. stuck case in M1 Carbine chamber

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uh, Ohhh, now what? I.E. stuck case in M1 Carbine chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My M1 Carbine has a separated case stuck in the chamber. There's about 1/2" of the end of the case stuck up inside the chamber and I need some advice. First,
I attempted to push it out with a 35 cal bore brush from the muzzle, and then a doubled up patch on a jag.

A brass seal pick with a hook on the end won't move it either.

I'm afraid it's been pushed forward into the throat in front of the chamber because at first my nephew, who was shooting it at the time, tried pounding the operating rod lever with the palm of his hand to chamber the next round.
There were a few rounds tried after that in the thought that it was bad ammo.

So, who has a procedure to remove the broken case piece from the chamber? I thought about a Lewis Lead Remover type thing, where I could push it in till it was inside the case piece, and then expand it by screwing the rod/mandrel tighter, but I haven't seen one in smaller than 38 caliber.

I'd really hate to resort to hack surgery to get this out, anyone have a good way to do it?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Insert a tight fitting patch in the bore and position it just ahead of the mouth of the case. Heat and pour some cerrosafe into the chamber just like you were making a chamber case. Carefully insert a cleaning rod from the muzzle end, duh, and Walla!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cerrosafe is unavailable around here, I know I can get it from Brownells, but do you think pure lead would work in this case?
When Cerrosafe cools, it shrinks a little ? And then expands about the same amount later? I seem to remember reading something along those lines. (of course that bit of wisdom could have been from a "Keyboard Gunsmith" too for all I know)
I know pure lead shrinks a little more than wheel weights as it cools, and it might be easier to push out than a plug made from wheel weights.

quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Insert a tight fitting patch in the bore and position it just ahead of the mouth of the case. Heat and pour some cerrosafe into the chamber just like you were making a chamber case. Carefully insert a cleaning rod from the muzzle end, duh, and Walla!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
cerrosafe melts ALOT cooler than lead... and I wouldn't want to be pouring lead into the chamber, as its hot enough to burn wood/patches/fingers/etc

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just use a new brush. Stick it into the case and pull. Works 99% of the time.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1.Take your cleaning rod and run it down the barrel to the chamber opening.

2.Take a bore brush that's tight in a 30 cal. barrel and screw it onto the cleaning rod.

3.Pull the bore brush into the the throat area of the barrel then push it back to the chamber opening.

Doing this should move the case mouth out of the chamber.

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Pegleg has the right idea. I always carried a flexible pistol cleaning rod,short, with me to matches and either a 357/45 cal. brush attached and sooner or later you will separate a case and with the tool described above, ram the brush into the chamber, twist a bit, pull and it always came out for me. Only happened once or twice every few years, but unless you can remove it, your day is over at the matches. In my situation, trying to extend the life of the brass more than I should have, but always find out why the situation occurs. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
A no-fail method is to put a wad of paper towel in the broken case and carefully pour in 3/8" or so of epoxy. When it hardens in the case drive it out with a rod.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Look at gunsmithing tools. They make one called a broken case extractor.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, I went through my buddy's Brownells Gunsmith Kinks and have a few more ideas to try.

I stuck the barreled action in the freezer and tried a really tight patch on a jag...nope.

The brush idea didn't work, I bent an offset in a cheap aluminum pistol cleaning rod so I could get a straight pull, and ruined three brushes, a 41, 44, and a 45 cal. I then tried from the muzzle, screwing a brush on at the breech, pulling it in then trying to push it out. Nothing! This case is really stuck in there hard!

I am thinking I'll just order some Cerrosafe from Brownells and get it over with. I wanted to shoot the gun this week, but I guess I'd better wait till I have the stuff to do it right.

Mark

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the safest way to get it out if into the throat is to use a piece of drill rod as close to bore diamater as possible - I believe for a .30 cal. its a .297 diameter. The only cost 4 or 5 bucks if I recall correctly. You can drop the rod down the bore and most like knock the case out with little chance of damaging anything. It is also handy to use with the cerrosafe - don't risk screwing up a cleaning rod or getting it stuck when you knock the case out - remember its is stuck pretty tight.

I think Brownells sell drill rod; order a piece when you get the Cerrosafe. It is a cheap handy tool to have around for special occasions!

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
Buy an ECHO broken shell extractor from Brownells

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...OKEN+SHELL+EXTRACTOR

I had the same thing happen to me on my FAL and it worked great.

edited to add: I see that this product has been dropped by Brownells. However, I did find a similar product on Midways website:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=791210&t=11082005

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Take an eye of newt, toe of frog... Just get the cerrosafe and be done with it. The stuff handles ALL case sizes, won't damage the finest bore, and works pretty damned quick.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Take an eye of newt, toe of frog... Just get the cerrosafe and be done with it. The stuff handles ALL case sizes, won't damage the finest bore, and works pretty damned quick.

As I posted earlier, I'm ordering Cerrosafe today, it should get here in a few days.

I can't believe how tight this is in there. My nephew must have really been hammering on the operating handle on the first jam, and then the half dozen or so attempts to chamber more cartridges. Eeker

Ahh well, it's a lesson for him, he's a good kid, a gun crazy intelligent 14 year old that has attached himself to his Uncle Mark, much to the dismay of his liberal parents. Big Grin

Thanks for the advice.

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you are waiting for the Cerrosafe, try this. A small piece of dry ice placed in the stuck case. The brass; this is a brass case I hope not a Wolf Steel one, will shrink at a faster rate than the barrel steel and you may be able to pull/drive it out. Cheap trick that has worked for me.

Thaine

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a piece of wood dowel just small enough to fit(snuggly) inside broken case. drill a small hole in the wood piece. slide it inside the broken case. insert an aluminum or brass wood screw inside the hole. it will expand the wood. Soak the stuck case with Kroil. Then tap the wood plug/screw and broken case out with cleaning rod.
Long shot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote