New
Find
Notify
Tools

African Express- the finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been finishing stocks in one form or another for around 35 years. I've used most of the products on the market and some I've concocted on my own. I picked up the African Express stock finishing kit from Brownells a while back to give it a try. I have finished one stock with it, a turkish walnut shotgun stock, and am now working on a rifle stock. I've decided that I like it. I don't know if I'll ever use the wax and other stuff but the oil and grain filler work great. Was just wondering if any of the other 'smittys here have tried it and what are your impressions of the finish?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clowdis,
You should also try the Gun-Sav-R from Brownells..It is easy to apply, just spray and pray and presto you get fantastic results..

That said, I fill with a filler once or twice to start with, then follow the directions..and the results are fantastic..

Also, I left a piece of finished wood on my shop roof in Idaho all winter. I could not believe how well it stood up to a wet/snow covered off an on Idaho winter...Nothing else I have tried worked as well over the years..Is you first name Jim?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Is that the 6 bottle kit?

it's NOTHING like spray on gun sav'r/pro custom gun oil, and I have a friend that likes it somewhat, but it does take AT LEAST 3 weeks to apply per directions...

Myself? I like 2 coats of sanding sealer and 2 to 4 coats of pro custom gun oil... and its good enough to hunt with
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ray. First name is Blair and I live in North Carolina and yes it's the 6 bottle kit that I bought. I haven't tried the Gun-Sav-R pro custom oil yet, but sounds like you and jeffeosso are mighty fond of it, so I'll get some and have a go at it in the future. I had become fond of several coats of Tung Oil for a sealer and then mixing spar varnish and tung oil 50/50 and rubbing that in for finish coats. The spar varnish helped to speed up the drying. But, like most, I've always got my ear open for another approach. Thanks for the replies.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you using for sanding sealer? I see it mentioned but no brand names etc. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dwheels
The 6 bottle package includes two bottles of oil that is used for a sanding sealer as well as the final finish. Any remaining grain filling is done with the filler supplied. The oil is very thin and penetrates very well leaving sort of a satin gloss finish.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Clowdis,
I know and have hunted with Brad Ralston, the PH who developed African Express products. He is a great guy and a big bore fanatic. If you would like his e-mail address, pm me. He is in and out this time of year on safaris but I know he would love to exchange ideas on finishing out your stocks... he posts on AR on rare occasions.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,
I've got his e-mail or rather he has mine. He does offer the occasional $35,000 elephant hunt to me that I can in no way afford Smiler