Find
Notify
Tools

O/U or SXS double??
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I often hear from fellow rifle loonies that O/U are soo much more stronger and easier to shoot etc, this topic often comes up when it's discussion about shotguns

Now, how come that almost no double rifles over 375 cal are made in this "superior" design?

Don't be shy

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Because if God intended you to shoot an over/under he would have placed your eyes that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bravo jbmi, hadn't heard that one before.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johan,
Still chuckling over the response from jbmi. I think it is more out of tradition, with most people thinking of a double rifle being a s/s. I do not feel that the O/U is any stronger although it may be the case, but in a shotgun is does eliminate the problem that is created in some people with two barrels in your view. The "single" sighting plane helps some eiminates that problem. The s/s double has a single sighting plane also but some people cross sight over the adjacent barrel.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a double for dangerous game, sxs is preferable simply because you don't have to open it so far to reload.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vigillinus, just like the duck blind argument for them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beretta makes both. Once, when the Beretta showroom was still in Alexandria, VA, I asked there why their SXS rifle was considerably more expensive than their O/U rifle in the same caliber(s). The answer I was given by the salesperson is that the SXS is more difficult and expensive to regulate. I don't know whether that answer is correct.

I like O/U shotguns, much more than SXS ones. But an O/U rifle seems "wrong" for some ineffable reason.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Customstox

I like SXS for some reason The "supposed" strenghts of the O/U might be an advantage since a double has to withstand higher pressure and maybe the O/U not is likely to become "off face" as some SXS seems do. Shooters often think recoil from U/O is easier to handle

Quote:

Because if God intended you to shoot an over/under he would have placed your eyes that way.

Interesting point of view

I see, maybe SXS shooters has their eye's varying horizontally depending if they shoot 10ga,12ga, 16ga,20ga or 410ga

Cheers

/ JOHAN