New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamber which end of the barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A real gunsmith saw one of my projects and said that the barrel marks on the muzzle showed that I chambered the wrong end. He say that the button is pulled from the marked end to the unmarked and bullets should follow that direction.

But my .224" Lothar Walther bull barrel blank has no marks on the end.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
It depends on which side of the equator you live on.

sofa
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Douglas claims to mark the "muzzle" end of the blank to show the "tightest taper". To my knowledge Shilen makes no claim. Back when I was wasting time turning barrels, I would chamber the marked end of the Shilens and never had any problems. Who's barrel did you use?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Krieger laps in one direction and tells you to chamber it so that the bullet travels in the same direction.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
In industry we mark all barrels so they get chambered from the correct end. You want the bullet to always travel in the direction the rifling was formed in, be it button, hammer, or cut.

As for your problem, I have no idea which end other barrel manufactures mark. You might want to call and ask.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Krieger laps in one direction and tells you to chamber it so that the bullet travels in the same direction.

I find that hard to believe! I think maybe he means he only laps from one end. Would that comment be true, does he pull the lap out and re-insert it from the same end as before?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was always under the impression that a bullet always travels in the same direction,lol could,t pass that up. I kknow what you mean though.

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

I find that hard to believe! I think maybe he means he only laps from one end. Would that comment be true, does he pull the lap out and re-insert it from the same end as before?

I would agree. Were that the case he would have to make a new lap after each stroke and that don't sound like fun. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the quality barrel makers mark the breech end of their blanks with information such as bore & groove diameter and an identifying number for quality control purposes. Most will also recommend cutting off at least an inch of the muzzle end because of any "belling' that may have occured during lapping. Reaming the chamber will take care of any belling at the breech end.

Every barrel maker that I know has a telephone. If there is any doubt about anything, just call them.

Now, why would anybody want to chamber the muzzle end????

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
quote:

From Krieger's website.

With any premium barrel that has been finish lapped -- such as your Krieger Barrel --, the lay or direction of the finish is in the direction of the bullet travel, so fouling is minimal. This is true of any properly finish-lapped barrel regardless of how it is rifled. If it is not finish-lapped, there will be reamer marks left in the bore that are directly across the direction of the bullet travel. This occurs even in a button-rifled barrel as the button cannot completely iron out these reamer marks.

It could be that they mean that the lay of the barrel is perpendicular to the bore rather than circumfrential. I understood it to mean that the bullet travel is in the same direction as the lay of the barrel, where "lay" is like the grass on a putting green which has a tendency to lay over in one direction and you can putt with the lay, against the lay or across the lay. But, it is conceivable that it is just that they mean that the lay is fore and aft in the barrel and bullet is not cutting across the reamer marks from boring the hole.

I had always read that lapping is done with short fore and aft strokes but thought that Krieger must have been doing it differently.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank maybe it isn't clear, but they mean the lap goes as Kobe says. I have seen them lap.By the way, Hart pushes their buttons.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote