Find
Notify
Tools

.30 to Mauser 98 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted
I have one .30 cal. barrel and one Mauser 98 LG action. I have noticed that there is none .30 caliber cartridge which goes to Mauser action and magazine without any gunsmith work. So I think there is time to do such kind of wildcat. What do you think ?

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
igorrock-

You could always do a .308 Winchester.

Great round and little if any modifications to the magazine box.

Good luck!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I have had one Mauser 308 but newer was happy with it. So I think 8x57 brass necked down to .30 bullet would be better idea. I'm sure that it works much better in 98 -action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
I have had one Mauser 308 but newer was happy with it. So I think 8x57 brass necked down to .30 bullet would be better idea. I'm sure that it works much better in 98 -action.

Your 8x57 necked down to 30 caliber sound pretty good. There is a "bastard" 30 caliber Mauser round and that is the 7.65x54 Argentine. It's equivalent to the 308 in power.

One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Yes,it is quite near but bullet diameter is too big, same as 7,62x39 have. One main reason for this "wildcat" is large assortment of .30 bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by igorrock:
Yes,it is quite near but bullet diameter is too big, same as 7,62x39 have. One main reason for this "wildcat" is large assortment of .30 bullets.

On the 7.65x54 you just use a smaller expander plug on your sizer die. Once for a .308 bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a worthy cartridge somewhere between the .308 and .30-06. Surely someone somewhere has done this in the past...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
Sounds like a worthy cartridge somewhere between the .308 and .30-06.

7,5 x 54 French MAS and 7,5 x 55 SR Swiss. Both can be loaded with .308" bullets, naming convention and original military diamters notwithstanding.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I took a standard model 98 and barreled it to 9.3 X 62 M/M. That's only one M/M shorter than a .30-06 and I don't see why you couldn't do an '06 on it without having to alter the magazine. By the way, I don't have to shove 286 gr. bullets way into the case to make it fit. Loaded to the cannelure, they fit fine.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
someone please tell me this thread is a funny????? How many thousands of mauser 98s have been rebarreled to 30-06?

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Of course you can load .30-06 so short that it goes to normal 98 magazine. But factory ammo with fmj -bullet is usually too long. I just sold my m98 .30-06 and it had magazine lengtened 4 mm (apr. 0,15 inch) which is just enough for .30-06.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI throw in with the 7.5x54 MAS & the 7.65x53 Mauser with .308 dia expander. In a good Mauser the 7.5 MAS will out shine the .308 when properly hand loaded ( did it ). dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote