New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-Bolt Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was out on the west coast recently doing a big Gunshow. I had occassion to "overhear" a couple of stories from two of my long time gun nut type friends.
They were both agreeing with each other that the Browning A-Bolt Rifles had receivers made of high strength aluminum!
I thought to myself "poo-poo"!
Can't be!
Then one added a story of two seperate custom Riflesmiths on the west coast (one in Oregon and one in Washington) who both refuse to take on re-barrel jobs for Browning A-Bolt Rifles!
I have known both these Riflesmiths for decades and have Hunted, socialized, traded guns with and have had them build custom Rifles for me!
I am hesitant to call them and ask them directly about the A-Bolt "situation" - mainly because I don't want them to know how ignorant I am regarding these Rifles - its a vanity thing!
The "story" of the A-Bolt "problem" continues. The reasons stated for the refusal to re-barrel the A-Bolts is that both Riflesmiths had destroyed A-Bolt actions by trying to unscrew the factory original barrels!
The form of destruction (as the "rumor" goes) is that the actions were bent during de-barreling! In addition the story goes the barrels had been "epoxied" into the threaded area of the A-Bolt actions!
Is there any truth or basis to these obsevration regarding the A-Bolt's?
I have never owned one but have bid on several - maybe I am lucky not to have been successful on my bids?
Thanks in advance for any enlightnement!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a-bolt are steel, though they can also be stainles..
some BLR (and may bar? i aint certain on the BAR) are sure enough aluminum.

repeat
abolts - not aluminum
SOME blrs, yep

might come from these receivers (abolt) having a tendency to gall like hell when you take the barrels out

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think A bolts are ugly

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've heard several "horror" stories about attempts to rebarrel A-bolt stainless steel actions. Apparently, the problem is that galling between the barrel and action threads makes it impossible to unscrew the barrel if the barrel tenon is "crush fit" to the receiver. I have not heard of any similar problems with non-stainless A-bolts.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are using aluminum for the newer BAR receivers, A-Bolts are steel. Back when the stainless stalker first came out, I was pulling the barrel on one when it siezed solid. I ended up sawing the barrel off at the thread shank, setting up and rethreading the receiver. I swore back then that I would never again touch a stainless A-Bolt. Since then I have rebarreld a lot of them and have not had one problem since. Tell your friends VarmintGuy that it is safe to get back in the water. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My A-Bolt was rebarreled. Smith said he had no problems at all. Mine is very accurate, but I am at the mercy of the magazine for AOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think A bolts are ugly

quote:
I think A bolts are ugly

Agreed.

I wander into a gun store , I believe it's in Sheffield, NC, called Mackey's Landing (if you should go there, bring cash, credit cards, a checkbook and ID)- anyway, he has rack after rack of them new, and they sell, obviously. Popular item.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your expertise and input. I appreciate it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinted-You can modify the aluminum feed ramp in an A-boltmagazine for increased AOL. It's held in by one rivet. You can order a new rivet from Browning or reuse your original rivet. I had my A-bolt rebarreled to 270 Gibbs. I did all the fireforming and load workup single shot. I discovered that it wouldn't feed from the magazine just before deer season opened. I modified my feed ramp with a grinder and some files.

Posts: 123 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote