THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Ok, here is the plan. I welcome constructive criticism.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, here is the plan. I welcome constructive criticism.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Still in planning stage.

The goal is a 12guage slug gun with regulated barrels.

I'm going to get a Stoeger Uplander sxs 12 guage. I'm going to test it first with different slugs, and also with rifled choke tubes and see what I get. If by some miracle it is good enough out of the box, then I am done. But if not here is what I will do.
I will make careful notes based on how it shoots.
I will remove the piece of metal between the barrels as far back as I can so the barrels are not attached up front.
Then I will make a double barrel nut out of a chunk of metal with 2 holes in it. One hole will fit one barrel snugly and that will be soldiered on the barrel.
The other hole will have a shoulder and the hole will be oversized. I will make a bunch of shims of different thicknesses that can be put into the space between the barrel and the barrel nut. The shims will be tightened down with a threaded ring that is bigger than the barrel, and that screw in from the front.
Then it should be a matter of shoot,move the shims, shoot, move the shims.

Suggestions?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
buy a pump action with a rifled barrel Wink

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That pretty gets rid of all the advantages of a smooth bore double. I already have a rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I was just trying to add a bit of humor. Wink Good luck.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
That pretty gets rid of all the advantages of a smooth bore double. I already have a rifle.

quote:

What are the advantages of a smooth bore double over a rifled repeater? Just curious.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you asked for constructive criticism here, jumpinghow about just plain old criticism Wink lol

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckshot for deer, #6 for rabbit and squirrel, 2 slugs for deer, a slug in one barrel and #2 in the other for turkey, buckshot in one barrel for deer and #6 in the other for squirrel.
I think you get the idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:

quote:

What are the advantages of a smooth bore double over a rifled repeater? Just curious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys don't pass up an open door to poke fun, do you?
Wink rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody has anything to add?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always understood that doubles were regulated for a certain range of shot size and distance to be used, or by " intended use" you could say.... i am wondering if a happy medium of regulation would attainable with the wildly variable loads from barrel to barrel that you mention with intentions on versitility.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A valid concern. I am hoping to tune the barrels for sluggs and then have them good enough for shot.

quote:
Originally posted by merlinron:
i always understood that doubles were regulated for a certain range of shot size and distance to be used, or by " intended use" you could say.... i am wondering if a happy medium of regulation would attainable with the wildly variable loads from barrel to barrel that you mention with intentions on versitility.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Frank, If you look real close at the Ruger Red Label, those are "False" strips between the barrels. They come right out and then it looks similar to an old Rem M32 or Rem M3200.

You might be able to remove the piece at the muzzle that holds them in position(or saw it off) and fabricate some kind of "Thingy" to allow Regulation of those tubes. I can visualize a lot of Baling Wire and Duct Tape. Big Grin

They are Over and Under though, not Side by Side.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me wacky but somewhere I saw a sign which read ;

" There's a proper tool for every job known to mankind

If you don't own that tool perhaps your not the Man the job had in mind " !.

salute

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank

You might get lucky and find some slugs that shoot good enough without any modification.

I have a Savage Stevens 311 20ga that has been cut down to 18.5" barrels.

Out to about 40 yards it shoots slugs as good as most big bore double rifles shoot.

This is far enough to make this gun a useful camp and utility gun, not necesarialy a long range deer hunter.

There are not that many different slug choices in 20 ga...

You might find in you 12 ga that with one brand of slug in the right barrel and another in the left that your overall group size is quite a bit smaller that using one brand of slugs in both barrels at the same time.

Also there are some 12ga doubles that are regulated for slugs, and are still smooth bore.
Chapuis, and Sabbati or two that I know of.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add that the wife and I have used this little 20ga in several trips to Montana, using it for grouse for a week or so before we backpacked up the mountain for black bear.

We always kept some Brenneke slugs handy in case we bumped into a bear...

We, and I when on a trip without her, have also used it for a Camp Gun, in Texas, Montana, Colorado, and Idaho.

A;so on the way "up" to the hunt we use iot as a "Car Gun", and a "Motel Gun".

The fact that it breaks down into a small short package allows you to carry it in to your Hotel/Motel bag, and nobody sees it. Thus you do not have to leave in in the vehicle where it might get stolen.

In short a double shotgun is a very handy tool to have.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips, guys. I am still trying to actually locate a double regulated for slugs. I can find stuff to indicate they exist, but I can't actually track down anybody in this country that has them or can get them.

So, meanwhile there is a Stoger double at the store waiting for me to come pick it up.
I'll put some slugs through it and see how it goes, then I'll get to work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forget who makes the short barreled superposed with the crude fixed sights, but it might make a simpler project. A fella could simply determine which barrel is most accurate and adjust the sights with a file for that one barrel and then note where the other barrel puts its slugs. If its close enough you're set, if not... Study the user-adjustable regulation on the Baikal or Valmet/Tikka combination guns and double rifles. A lockable dovetail adjustment at the muzzle does left and right (on a superposed) and a sliding wedge mid-barrels flexs up or down. Don't know if it will work with two shotgun barrels. FWIW the alleged Baikal SxS double rifle has user adjustments too but I've never seen one.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
get a stoger coach gun .. set of remington sights ... buck in one (left works for me) slugs in the other (right works for me) and have a heck of a pig clean up gun

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
get a stoger coach gun .. set of remington sights ... buck in one (left works for me) slugs in the other (right works for me) and have a heck of a pig clean up gun

Very close. The stoeger is waiting for me at the store. I got the uplander with a 26 inch barrel though, because I figure it is easier to shorten a berrel that is too long, than to lengthen a barrel that is too short. And I am guessing that a 24inch barrel will be what I want.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would be more prone to leaving the muzzle joined and then puting differently machined shims or jacking wedges in between the barrels at the middle of the span. This way, you correct half the error with each barrel and do not "tweak" one barrel excessively. I also sugggest making a laser pointer insert for each barrel so you can actually see what you are doing to each barrel in reference to the other as you work on it. This saves a great deal of work. Once you get the barrels to shoot in generally the same spot, you can then solder them back together and align the sighting system to point of impact. PM if you would like a more detailed description of the process with the laser pointers.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Frank!
Im in the same project.
Just waiting for a 12 ga Vasque SxS.
I will try to regulate it by changes in the muzzle angle. This is an old way to regulate guns.
You have a PM.

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote