New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matched Set of Rifles (Progress Photos)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son Tyler and I have been thinking and dreaming about a matched set of hunting rifles for over three years now. Many of you will remember from previous posts that my son is a lefty which limited our action choices.

We also wanted M-98 type actions and our first choice was Hein. I think most will remember how that turned out.

As a result of the Hein theft and our desire to get going on the project we decided our next choice would be Dakota. It was nothing against Dakota that they were not our initial choice, we just really wanted Mauser 98 actions. Dakota's are great actions and the fact they had almost immediate availability was a huge plus.

Particulars of our rifles are as follows.

Dakota actions trued, milled and custom touches by Jim Dubell at Delta Gunshop.
Barrels bored, cut rifled, chambered and countoured by Clearwater Boring & Jim Dubell.
Bases custom built for Talley rings by Jim Dubell.
Stocks blanks are Bastgone and will be built by Customstox Chic Worthing if Tyler and I can get him off the skeet range long enough to do the work. Stocks will be in an American Classic style
Rust bluing will be done by Chic as well.
Scopes will be Leupold 6x's

I will post here a link to my picasa album for those who are interested. I will also try to figure out how to post them on this thread.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hu...7057/MatchedDakotas#

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock blanks are not bastogne, they are kock out gorgeous Turkish walnut, one from Mustafa Bilal and the other from Steve Heilman. I will post a photo of them on here this weekend.

Photos addes as promised.

The following two are Howards blanks. They don't look near as good as I remember them but Howard hasn't seen them for years. On the other hand I found two beauties that I forgot that I even had. What good fortune to start off the new year. I think the bark pocket on the one does not extend all the way through the blank and there is some punkly looking rotten wood on one side that can be fixed by saturating with epoxy. On the other hand my newly found blanks are just gorgeous and need nothing.

Howards blanks

My good fortune, forgot I had them although I can't find a receipt, possession is 9 points of the law Blanks

Howard will probably say something is amiss but it is New Years day, and he is drinking a lot.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are going to be two very nice rifles!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Great pics. It should be a great set of rifles.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
wow

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Don't get Chic started on yours until he does that work for me...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
Next we looked at Satterlee as he advertised that he had both right and left hand actions available. Well an order was placed and delivery dates were promised. Well after the delivery date of the right hand action I received an email from Satterlee that basically said a repeat customer wanted my action and would I give it up!!!!!!!!!!!! Well that was all it took........I said yes please do so.

As a result of that fiasco

quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Folks,
Howard did not place an order .

No delivery date was ever made or agreed upon.

No transaction took place, No deposit for actions was placed. (standard practice)

Stuart

Tell us more about this fiasco

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
"Tell us more about this fiasco"

Just for once how about letting Howard's post be one of CELEBRATION for the beautiful rifles that he is getting made for himself and his son, rather than a long litany of bashing.

I for one am really looking forward to seeing how that metalwork looks in Customstox's stocks.

In case you didn't notice, Howard started this by bashing Satterlee as a "fiasco".

Maybe we should let Howard explain his reasoning given Stuart's post.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was typing away the story of our rifles. I mentioned the Hein issue because it had already been mentioned here and is a very real part of the story. I mentioned Satterlee as it really did happen and is also part of the story of the events that took place from the time Tyler and I decided to have these rifles built to present time.

I had no intention to bash Satterlee and wish I had left his name and that part of our progress out of it. I am sorry for that, but what is done is done and I did tell the truth.

I have no issues with Satterlee and the day he can deliver a matched set of left and right actions I will send him money. The use of the word fiasco isn't meant to be a knock against Satterlee but rather just the general situation I entered into with him which I did knowing no left hand actions had been built.

In the future I will only discuss such products if they are actively being manufactured, no more get in line and wait while we figure it out.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations Howard. Who is going to get the Blazer?

My daughter Jessica has chimed in now that she used it to take her first buck with it this past fall. We shall see.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard, a dream is finally coming together for you both, bout time.
The project is looking so damn fine, Jim does outstanding work and it shows.

Only comment I have Howard, is that 6X leupold that's mounted looks a bit rough rotflmo hope its going on your gun and not Tylers.

What a great way to start out your New Year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
I had no intention to bash Satterlee and wish I had left his name and that part of our progress out of it. I am sorry for that, but what is done is done and I did tell the truth.

The truth about a business deal is ALWAYS appropriate! Especially since we're supposed to be sharing info here.

The discussions (on other threads) about questionable business practices by smiths has convinced me that WIDELY publicizing the individual smiths' business practices, good and/or bad, is the best method of ensuring honesty and fair dealings.

If a guy doesn't wanta get bashed, it's pretty simple: treat folks right, apply The Golden Rule in all your dealings, and tell the truth.

Good luck on the rest of your creation process!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Don't get Chic started on yours until he does that work for me...

Hi Mike, you know I am hearing that a lot. I have a personalized greeting for him when he calls my cell phone. Says something like, "hang your phone up, get off the internet and get to work or my stocks" LOL

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
The stock blanks are not bastogne, they are kock out gorgeous Turkish walnut, one from Mustafa Bilal and the other from Steve Heilman. I will post a photo of them on here this weekend.

Photos addes as promised.

The following two are Howards blanks. They don't look near as good as I remember them but Howard hasn't seen them for years. On the other hand I found two beauties that I forgot that I even had. What good fortune to start off the new year. I think the bark pocket on the one does not extend all the way through the blank and there is some punkly looking rotten wood on one side that can be fixed by saturating with epoxy. On the other hand my newly found blanks are just gorgeous and need nothing.

Howards blanks

My good fortune, forgot I had them although I can't find a receipt, possession is 9 points of the law Blanks

Howard will probably say something is amiss but it is New Years day, and he is drinking a lot.

How rude.........its not even 3pm yet here. So when do those "blanks" get started?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Told you guys he has been drinking. So maybe we need a "fair trial with independent fact finders who have reviewed all of the evidence" If we need to search for a honest attorney to be one of the fact finders we might as well wait for the second coming.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The discussions (on other threads) about questionable business practices by smiths has convinced me that WIDELY publicizing the individual smiths' business practices, good and/or bad, is the best method of ensuring honesty and fair dealings.

I really hate to be doing this on Howard's thread about his custom rifles, but I highly disagree with the above statement. Widely publicizing might be okay, but only after there has been a fair trial with independent fact finders who have reviewed all of the evidence.

If you really hate to be doing this on Howard's thread about his custom rifles, why are you doing it?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, any chance of posting "in progress" pics of those stocks? How fortunate for Howard that he has a good friend like you watching his back. No telling WHAT kind of blanks he might have got stuck with... ;-)

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Told you guys he has been drinking. So maybe we need a "fair trial with independent fact finders who have reviewed all of the evidence" If we need to search for a honest attorney to be one of the fact finders we might as well wait for the second coming.

I think one of those blanks is the one you stole from at the ACGG expo a few years ago.
dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:
quote:

I really hate to be doing this on Howard's thread about his custom rifles, but I highly disagree with the above statement. Widely publicizing might be okay, but only after there has been a fair trial with independent fact finders who have reviewed all of the evidence.

If you really hate doing this on Howard's thread about his custom rifles, why are you doing it?

"...why is everyone always picking on me?..."

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

22WRF
Maybe you could read the statement on the homepage:
quote:
This site was started by a group of shooters, whose interests include hunting, target shooting and plain plinking. The idea was to share what we have learned from hunting, reloading, gunsmithing and any other shooting related ideas. We are not affiliated to any company involved in the shooting and hunting sports. So what you will find here are our actual experiences, good or bad. If you have any interesting ideas, or if you have come across anything you think might be of interest to other fellow shooters, please consider sharing it with us, we would love to hear from you.

No need to send a legal team on a fact finding mission.....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MKane160:
Chic, any chance of posting "in progress" pics of those stocks? How fortunate for Howard that he has a good friend like you watching his back. No telling WHAT kind of blanks he might have got stuck with... ;-)
MKane160

Great question. How about that Chic? jumping

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:

(Customstox was REM721)

I am pretty sure that you are wrong. I support your right to post your belief that Chic was rem721, but only after :

quote:

but only after there has been a fair trial with independent fact finders who have reviewed all of the evidence.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think we did a very good job of matching our stock blanks but we each picked out what we liked. Tyler and I took a trip to Reno and the Guild Show to find his blank. What great fun we had picking through the piles of blanks and setting aside the possibilities. He was picky too but after going through virtually every blank available there he kept coming back to the same one which Chic will now turn into his dream rifle. Mine is the one with the fiddleback.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've found that if a fellow follows The Golden Rule, there are never any complaints except maybe about poor communication.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well my photos are gone. Must be something to do with Picasa? Any suggestions?

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Moved to photobucket.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How neat for the two of you!!

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barreled actions arrived today courtesy of Jim Dubell and UPS.

Also choose a new blank for my rifle that while is not a "match" to Tyler's it's much closer then the fiddleback blank I had previously choose.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SWEET clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
A quick update.

Chic has his pattern(s) stock done and its going today to James Anderson to be duplicated.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Howard,
You're gonna have to wait on James to checker mine and TCI stocks first. He'll probably have them duplicated by Labor Day.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better not. Have been promised a quick turn around.

If not Chic is gonna have to carve them by hand. Isn't that what a "custom" builder is suppose to do anyway? LOL

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right Howard! He needs to make like a beaver.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
You're right Howard! He needs to make like a beaver.
Butch

I resemble that remark.
My dentist said I had some of the biggest teeth he'd ever worked on. Big Grin

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1859 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Y'all are going to enjoy the finished products!

Beautiful work! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some progress photos are available on my picasa web album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/hu...ylerSMatchingRifles#

Jim Dubell replaced the Dakota bolt handles with new ones. We also picked out different stock blanks that will be better matches. They have been duplicated by James Anderson and are at Customstoxs to start working on.

Howard
hwhomes@outlook.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Englisg walnut?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The wood is stunning Howard. I think they still need a little extra sanding before the finish is applied though Wink

Those are going to be a beautiful pair.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote