New
Find
Notify
Tools

03 springfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a sporterized 1903 and it still has the original trigger guard I was wondering if there is a good aftermarket hinged replacement

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An M98 TG can be modified to fit. Takes a little crafting like bending the rear tang to the right angle and adjusting the floor plate, but basically the same distance for the screws.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
+1. I know there is decent botom metal out there, but I have always tweaked mauser hardware to work.

Hair, not Air!
Rob Martin

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's an easy mod to use mauser for springfield or enfield

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38734 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info looks like I'll have to get a mauser tg coming

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have blackburn bottom metal on my '03 and like it a lot!

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have blackburn on my 416 Ar on a springfield, and a paker hale (casting) 1100M with a modified williams floorplate on my 500ar enfield

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38734 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you have 1903/A3 with a stamped trigger guard/floor plate or you want to upgrade a 1903 with milled trigger guard and floor plate.

If is a 1903/A3 that you want replaced, you can find an original milled 1903 trigger guard here: http://www.sarcoinc.com/springfields.html

They also sell new manufactored trigger guards for the 1903.

The 1903 easily fits on a 1903/A3.

Make sure you get all the parts:

SPF266 1903 Trigger guard, Floorplate, Floorplate Catch Assembly Set - milled G.I. $99.95

I purchased one here and retrofitted it on a 1903/A4, and it turned out pretty nice.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can try eBay for a milled guard, also.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hinged guards for 03s, modified from issue, turn up occasionally on ebay. I have bought a few that way. Also there were dural hinged guard assemblies made by various mfrs. The Michaels version has awful raised "engraving" that looks really cheesy and the hinge pin looks rather frail. I think the best one is a steel job marked "Made in Finland" that is quite rare.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much interest there would be for decent springfield bottom metal. I for one would buy a set if Duane Wiebe were making some.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3824 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We THINK a run of 1M (standard Mauser 30-06) would be feasible with following modifications:

Shorten front pillar, "tweak" trigger bow area, drill for angled rear guard screw. The guard screw recess' have to be changed a little or customer made new screws (Mauser head, Springfield thread)

But...it's a ways down the line

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Vigillins,
quote:
I think the best one is a steel job marked "Made in Finland" that is quite rare

I'll say it's rare! I am guessing you have one of three Sako modified T.G's I made and sold on e-bay!

I have had good luck in the past by grinding down a carbide spotting drill and redrilling the rear hole in the Springfield tang, then heli-coil with a 1/4"x28 insert. Need new screws but you can get the exact Mauser measurement with the dro and using the same set up for drill and tap.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote