New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want Smith To Make A Bolt Rifle in 30 Carbine
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know lots of smiths can and would build the rifle for cash, but right now I'm cash strapped so I need to work it as a trade.
I have a DCM issued Garand (what DCM sells as collector grade), and some USGI ammo I am willing to use for trading.
Am looking for a nice rifle to use as a shooter.
PM me if interested.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I assume the garand would be a down payment?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I assume the garand would be a down payment?

I doubt that would even be a big enough down payment to get started. If something went wrong then the Smith would be stuck with a trotline weight.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
he's not looking for a custom built rifle. wow, guys, the DCM is worth quite a bit over 1400 ..,

one would think a 527 in 223, quick barrel swap, and feeding work should be doable for that.

the "assume downpayment" responses aren't very damn nice to a fella saying he needs to trade... he doesn't have a junker grade m1 .. its at the top of their scale.

Frankly, pretty crumby comments here, 2 days before christmas, in a crummy economy, and a guy trying to work a trade for his family.

i don't care that comment may "offend" .. they need to go find a mirror if they are offended by plain, down home, honest.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso

+1

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
There's more than one way to look at this, obviously.

I kinda read the initial comments as maybe sharp, but not offensive. More like a reality check.

After all, the initial idea isn't right, somehow. Trading a valuable rifle for something custom, when the Garand is readily marketable, and Bob could buy a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, and a pickup load of ammo, and have money left over, for Christmas gifts for the family, to buy onions, and spices, and gravy makings to go along with the venison.

Even those on hard times, and maybe especialy those, might ought to be listening to reality checks. Such times call for being practical, IMO.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James Calhoon builds rifles in his 19 Badger wildcat which is the 30 Carbine necked to 19 cal. He uses CZ 527 rifles originally chambered in 22 Hornet for the conversion. I would think a 30 carbine version wouldn't be all that hard.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Jeffeosso that a collector grade Garand is worth more money then the general average one is. Frankly I'd hold onto that Garand, bite the bullet, and just wait until I got funds and build that rifle your want.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Tell 'em Jeff!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
James Calhoon builds rifles in his 19 Badger wildcat which is the 30 Carbine necked to 19 cal. He uses CZ 527 rifles originally chambered in 22 Hornet for the conversion. I would think a 30 carbine version wouldn't be all that hard.

there you go..
get a 527 in hornet, and send to ITD for barrel, chambering, feeding, and bluing...

Lee,
Sometimes, when the nights are long, i get a bit grumpy..

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
+1!!

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
he's not looking for a custom built rifle. wow, guys, the DCM is worth quite a bit over 1400 ..,

one would think a 527 in 223, quick barrel swap, and feeding work should be doable for that.

the "assume downpayment" responses aren't very damn nice to a fella saying he needs to trade... he doesn't have a junker grade m1 .. its at the top of their scale.

Frankly, pretty crumby comments here, 2 days before christmas, in a crummy economy, and a guy trying to work a trade for his family.

i don't care that comment may "offend" .. they need to go find a mirror if they are offended by plain, down home, honest.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Try Customguns.us
This guy will work with you and start the build when its 50% payed off. Well that is what he did for me. Its been a few years and things change.
hope this helps.
Judson S Bailey is a great smith and is out of St. Albans Maine. Has his class 7 too.
The custom 96 Mauser in my photo is the one he did for me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I understood it as a build from scratch. Not a simple rebarrel. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I understood it as a build from scratch. Not a simple rebarrel. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sounds like it. But he may already have the bolt action. Guess he should ahve been a wee bit more spasific.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Sorry---just being short and to the point. Do that too often.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
To often initial questions don't contain all the information...if they did it would take too long to post and many wouldn't read the post in it's entirety AND with understanding, besides getting lost between the beginning and the end.

AND...TOO OFTEN...something about this forum makes people get real pissy, real fast...AND they think they need to go negative to show their "smarts".

In reality, a large percentage of the responses are nothing but personal opinion...personal likes and dislikes...and personal bias, with little actual fact.

I think a New Years resolution to ALL members on AR would be to STOP THE KRAP and do an anger managemant course. That would make these forums a much better place to go and probably do much better in the information dissemination area...

BUT....I don't hold out much hope this will ever happen.

You can be short and to the point without being a sharp pointed stick...tact is all that is needed.

Luck

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Nisbet:
I know lots of smiths can and would build the rifle for cash, but right now I'm cash strapped so I need to work it as a trade.
I have a DCM issued Garand (what DCM sells as collector grade), and some USGI ammo I am willing to use for trading.
Am looking for a nice rifle to use as a shooter.
PM me if interested.

Hey did you get any headway on your build? Has anyone gotten in touch with you about this build? I like the idea, how many 30 Carbine Bolt Guns are there out there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Idk how many 30carbs. But I have one of the very few 30 mausers.

476AR,

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
Idk how many 30carbs. But I have one of the very few 30 mausers.

Nice, Send me Photos!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM, I think this could be done on one of the newer centerfeed Savage 223 actions with likely not more than a barrel swap.

Case length is short enough it will take some ejector tuning to get it out of the port before falling off the ejector though.

If not, rebarreling one of the Model 25's might be the ticket.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In regards to Jim Calhoun's 527 conversions- the 527 is available in .221, so I assume that would make it a candidate for a .30 Whisper, if I have my parent cases correct- ?

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

Just curious, why a 30 Carbine bolt rifle?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Bob

Just curious, why a 30 Carbine bolt rifle?

Why not?

Great starter gun or a great one for someone who cannot handle the recoil.
I have an M1 Carbine and getting a bolt gun will greatly improve accuracy.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
In regards to Jim Calhoun's 527 conversions- the 527 is available in .221, so I assume that would make it a candidate for a .30 Whisper, if I have my parent cases correct- ?

Parent for the Whisper was the 221. So, the 527 should work with a barrel change and whatever needed (if anything) to make it feed.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:
Sent you a PM, I think this could be done on one of the newer centerfeed Savage 223 actions with likely not more than a barrel swap.

It works, shot a 20 shot group this afternoon that measures about 1.75", including the scope sighters.

PTG SAAMI reamer, 12 twist McGowen, 16" sporter contour stainless.

I didn't think it would feed without building a ramp at the front of the magazine box - but it does.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote