Find
Notify
Tools

Cold Bluing Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gang,

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I have used Brownells 'Oxpho-Blue' for general cold bluing applications. I am generally pleased with the results [as well].

The only nagging question is, how do I neutralize its effect on one handling any item that was blued by this product?

As an example, magazines that are blued by this process are well protected but yields an odor and some (what I suspect) residual chemical transfer to the hands whenever these items are handled which raises some degree of concern.

What (if anything) can be done to neutralize any of the residual affects of the post-process short of hot-bluing?

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Alex,
I've got a test barrel I did with the same, about 10 years ago.. and it still stinks...

jeffe

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Alex---

You'll often see gun collectors sniffing guns. Cold blue stinks and theres nothing I've ever seen to kill it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it gets on your hands it is easy to remove. Go to a doctor, preferably a surgeon and have him remove the first layer of skin down to raw flesh. After it heals you will no longer smell the cold blue.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,

How is the cold blue working? I touched up an M-48 receiver with it, and found that I started getting rust speckling in those areas. I hope you don't run into the same problems.

I am not sure what the active ingredient in OxphoBlue is, so I don't know what if anything could be used to kill the after-rust effect.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
was standing here, talking with my sons... the smart arsed one said

"hey, won't rust and blue remover get rid of the smell"?

the little sob is right
jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Gotta appreciate the humor here; okay so stink is in (no problem)... [Big Grin]

Todd,

I have not experienced subsequent rusting to cold bluing. Prior to any bluing operation I use ultrasonic cleaning and so therefore any rusting is arrested (with the exception of pitted corrosion in which the pits remain)�

I am not an expert in the area you ask me about. The only thing I understand is that bluing (cold or hot) is supposed to inhibit rusting. I could not being to tell you why your particular unit would rust after the operation. Perhaps Brownells or another member might be able to help you better.

The only divergence with this product and process is that I briefly heat up the piece I am working on with a hair dryer.

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 24 hour soaking with WD-40 will stop cold blue rusting...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
while we are on the subject of cold blue

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com