Find
Notify
Tools

Need to change one barrel on a double barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I have a need for a double barrel shotgun with one rifled barrel, sort of like a Cape Gun.
I dont need any more than the use of factory 12 ga ammo since I will be using Dixie Paradox slugs and Tri-ball rounds.
I need to know how to remove the barrels from the monoblock and reinstall with out ruining the monoblock.
I have no machine shop, but I do have the capability to heat treat if necessary.
Also what is the best way to remove the ribs with out ruining them. I may be able to use the same ones again.

Thankyou,
John coffee

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh...getting them apart is easy with a lot of heat; bear in mind that some are brazed into the monoblocks now. Getting them back together is somewhat harder. For the rifle barrel, you want to thread that into the block instead of just soldering it in. That would work too, (I have done it that way but am nervous about it) but for strength, I thread them now. Good luck with this project. You will have to have a lathe to contour, thread, and chamber your rifle barrel. Not to mention threading the monoblock.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply

The rifled barrel is still a shotgun barrel,and no not the 12 ga from hell... Wink
I some times go home to Florida and hunt big hog in very heavy cover, palmetto patches.
They are Big, my brother has one mounted that went 525 pounds. He had to crawl on his knees to get that one after he wounded it.
I want to do it again, but I need a gun that can handle that and the 100 yard shot.

Thanks,
John coffee

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
insert a barrel in the left barrel .. right barrel is then your long range shot ... left barrel hits on irons.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phatman:
Hi Guys,
I have a need for a double barrel shotgun with one rifled barrel, sort of like a Cape Gun.
I dont need any more than the use of factory 12 ga ammo since I will be using Dixie Paradox slugs and Tri-ball rounds.
I need to know how to remove the barrels from the monoblock and reinstall with out ruining the monoblock.
I have no machine shop, but I do have the capability to heat treat if necessary.
Also what is the best way to remove the ribs with out ruining them. I may be able to use the same ones again.

Thankyou,
John coffee

I suppose you've done this before? This is pretty high tech stuff...it's not a "hey guys how do you do this" scenario...let me know how it turns out??? Ever think of taking up brain surgery?

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much easier is to put a rifled choke in the barrel of your choice.

Sort of a modern day Paradox gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done this before? NO
But I make a living porting and welding cylinder heads for NHRA, IHRA, NASCAR, and SCCA engines.

Hell, I would go out and buy the thing if it was sold any where. Mad

Hell, never mind

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Done this before? NO
But I make a living porting and welding cylinder heads for NHRA, IHRA, NASCAR, and SCCA engines.

Well, hell, that's great. I need hip replacement surgery; maybe you could do that too? Big Grin

Seriously, if you want to do this yourself, get a copy of Building DOUBLE RIFLES on Shotgun Actions - Second Edition. By W. Ellis Brown. Read it and study it. Then from the ACGG, get a copy of everything they have on William Nittler. You'll then know how to manufacture the clamps and torches you'll need. That should give you all the information you'll need to accomplish the task you've set out on...maybe.

Oh, and I was just kidding about the hip surgery. I wouldn't trust you to do it anyway.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its not hard, just dangerous .. take your time, do it right..

Ask those that naysay you "how many times have YOU tried?"

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I intend to give it a try.
There is nothing worth doing that does not include risk and effort.

Thanks,
John

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Much easier is to put a rifled choke in the barrel of your choice.

Sort of a modern day Paradox gun.

Funny, the same thing came to my mind when I read the question.

One reason I like to idea of installing a rifled choke is that is would be pretty simple and may do what the owner needs. And if it does not work out you can go ahead with the barrel replacement.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
......or, for a helluva lot less money, if you count your time value, you can get an 18 to 22 inch Marlin in .45-70 or similar cartridge.

......or, get a slug gun barrel or, as mentioned, a slug choke tube on an 870, and shoot buckshot thru it for your first or close in shot if that's what you're thinking.

I'm not trying to discourage you, if this is what you want to do for a hobby, but I very much doubt that the result is going to be worth the effort you put into it. JMHO, no offense intended.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
insert a barrel in the left barrel .. right barrel is then your long range shot ... left barrel hits on irons.

Now I'm not a smith. But the idea of Jeff's seems very reasonable. Instead of pulling a barrel out of a mono bloc and installing a new barrel. Why not turn a barrel that could be slide inside the existing left barrel?

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phatman,
I only know a couple guys personally that are very good at welding and porting heads. Lots of people do it. To put it nicely, that does not qualify them to do what you propose. I don't really know a nice way to say it, but if you ask advice on a gunsmithing forum, you have to weigh what they are telling you. You may not like the suggestions, but they have worked on a rifle or 3. It is kinda like me saying that I have a 5 axis CNC and a tig welder and I want to build killer heads. Please take this in the way that I intend it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Guys,
what he is proposing, in terms of making a shotty into a cape gun, AINT HARD ... seriously, guys sleeve shotties to make double guns all the time, and that's at LEAST 5 x harder

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
12ga/30-06 over/unders are available.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote