Find
Notify
Tools

Remington-Walker Explanation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
other thing is. The firearms industry is nowhere near as cut throat as other industries.

If it was Winchester, Browning, and others not owned under the Freedom Group they'd be running adds like Trade in you deadly Model 700 for a new M70. Just like the auto makers did with toyota.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
For those who didn't watch the show, it will probably be available quite often on CNBC, especially on holidays when the stock market is closed. The "Walmart Special (I don't recall the exact name)" has been shown dozens if not hundreds of times since its initial airing on CNBC.

The "defect" is often repeatable. In spite of Mike Walker saying that none of the rifles made while he was in charge would FSR, they would and did. It was pointed out in the show that Consumer Reports did a test on a light varmint 700 in 1962, over 10 years before Walker retired, and it FSR and would do so repeatedly.

http://m.remington700.tv/

http://bulletin.accurateshoote...port/comment-page-1/

FWIW, FSR's come through my shop now and then and EVERYONE is the result of poor maintenance. That certainly isn't Remingtons fault. The repair in EVERY CASE is simple; a thorough cleaning and resetting of the pull weight. Everyone, everytime!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, FSR's come through my shop now and then and EVERYONE is the result of poor maintenance. That certainly isn't Remingtons fault. The repair in EVERY CASE is simple; a thorough cleaning and resetting of the pull weight. Everyone, everytime!

Just curious haw this fits with your posted early fix of epoxy and later fix of drill and tap to insure the piece is attached? Or did I misread your post.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Just curious haw this fits with your posted early fix of epoxy and later fix of drill and tap to insure the piece is attached? Or did I misread your post.

The customer gets his choice. A detail clean and service, or, a full trigger job. If I am going to take a Remington Trigger below 3 lbs, I ALWAYS attach the connector to the trigger lever, now, via the screw. It used to be via epoxy. The trigger in it's original configuration, with the separate connector, requires a heavier weight of pull. Such a trigger, when clean and properly adjusted, is as safe as any trigger.

The problem people get into with the Walker trigger is letting cleaning solvents and oils enter the trigger assembly, usually during cleaning, which after a period of time, can congeal and interfere with the crisp movement of the connector. Add to this, someone not knowing any better, or, following internet advice, reducing the pull weight by backing off the return spring, which acts directly against the connector, thereby setting in motion a potential disaster and probably another law suit. Cetainly not Remington's fault.

I posted the epoxy and screw fix for those who might feel better eliminating the separate connector. Again, it's not necessary unless you plan on reducing the weight of pull below the factory setting.

BTW, does anyone know why Remington won't work on one of their own guns if the trigger has been tampered with?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, does anyone know why Remington won't work on one of their own guns if the trigger has been tampered with?

My guess is once someone has messed with it Rem can point the finger to user error.

Thanks for the info on the trigger work. Years ago I did bluing for a large store in Houston. During deer season I would sight-in customers rifles. I was working on a new out of the box ADL. Third round I stuck in the mag put it on safe to adjust the sand bags pushed the safe forward and it fired. Since I used my trigger finger to push the safety forward I know I didn't have my finger on the trigger. The store simply replaced the rifle.

The others that I have been around when they fired were used. So they could have been a combination of dirt, design or pull weight I have no clue.

The trigger MIGHT be perfect if it is kept in factory setting (why allow them to be adjusted then) or perfectly clean. However the 700 is supposed to be the rifle for EVERYONE per Remingtons claims. Well the big majority of hunters would not have a clue how to keep the trigger clean. Then add a spray of WD40 a guns worst nightmare

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I've had the same experience with fishing reals. If you modify, tamper, change anything on them warranty is void and usually no factory service. It's just common practice.

I would reason to guess that it's more of a liability reason then anything else though.
Once modified it's out of the manufacturers hands. even if the modification makes perfect sense

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Completely unrelated to the trigger issue, in the first couple of minutes they showed the family who's son was killed putting a hay ring out. I suppose to show how outdoorsy they are. The hay ring was put on the bale upside down from it's normal position.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Maybe that was all staged too. TV shows have a way of doing things like that. "It adds to the feel and coveys family cohesion" Or some BS like that

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I don't know what this CNBC program was suppose to accomplish but immediately after the first showing, I got a grand total of 3 calls. Two were wrong numbers and one, from a friend, asking me what the hell that was about. Big Grin

Turns out the chain smoker lied. Duh! The Marine Corps NEVER reported any trigger problems with their M40's. Depositions from key witnesses didn't jive with their "on the air" comments. I got to see what Jack Belk looked like, and now I see Remington is splashing his face all over their website. If the CNBC program was going to generate much of anything, I think it missed by a mile.

http://www.remington700.tv/

http://m.remington700.tv/

Next!