Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bed a CZ 557 short action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted
I'm looking for a kit to use to pillar bed my CZ 557 but I'm not having much luck. I will need the screw hole jigs and the right size and shape pillars. Any suggestions?

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee
Well, I do them in the mill with carbide slot mills so I get them perfectly straight, square and true. Then I make pillars on the lathe and mill to size.

If I would have to go back to the old drill and haphazard I would use annular cutters in 1/2 or 9/16th inch size and replace the knock out pin in them in the center with a steel mandrel the same size as the tang screw holes as a guide. The only problem with them is that they have 3/4 inch Weldon shanks. You would have to make an adapter to go between the Weldon shank and a 1/4 or 1/2 inch hand drill. I would then drill from each side to keep things as straight as possible. Things are never easy when you bastardize stuff together. But it would work the same as the commercial pillar bedding drills.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
This guy shows how to glass bed and pillar bed with the one single operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MI-Ic43sqc

Posts: 136 | Location: Southern Utah | Registered: 22 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Well, yeah. That's your basic D.I.Y. bedding I guess. No pillars or locating and cutting the recesses for them like you asked about. But, that's the gist of it. Make sure the epoxy won't stick to the barreled action and make sure it sticks to the stock. Making it stress free and look good is an option too I guess.

There are a couple of photos of pillar setups here if you scroll down.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8671075902/p/5

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wish that I would have become a machinist instead of a linguist but I did manage to go back to school and learn how to weld. The next step in my preparation is to find some bolts or studs that will thread into my action so that I can guide them through the both holes in the stock to line it up without accidentally stuffing bedding up into the action. The gunsmith from CZ says that the threads are m6x1. I'm wondering if I will be able to find bolts with that thread at the hardware store.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M6-1 is standard metric coarse. M6-.75 is standard metric fine.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of quarterbore
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to slather the thing in release agent, stuff all of the holes with modeling clay, push the original screws up through the compound and into the bolt holes, cross my fingers, and hope for the best. I'll trust to old guy on the video.