THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Husqvarna 1640 and small ring mauser actions: similar?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Husqvarna 1640 and small ring mauser actions: similar?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I'm wanting to get a stock for a Husqvarna 1640 (early version with steel triggerguard). They can be hard to come by meaning pricey. I think the 98 small rings have the same hole spacing and assumingly a smaller front ring diameter than the large ring.

Might this have possibilities?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inletting for small ring 98 triggerguard is not same footprint as your Huskie.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trade ex in Canada have them

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here's a good source for data to back this
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=971105007#971105007

the 96 action and the mexican mauser, model 1910 and 1936, share the same action screw spacing - BUT the bottom metals are different.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The 1640 has nothing to do with a small ring Muaser.

If one cannot find someone able to inlet them a proper 1640 stock, then the closest option would be to get a semi-inlet for a 33/40 and ask that the bolt stop cutout be omitted. One would have to inlet the stock at the right rear tang and also of course for the bottom metal. I'm sure there are other differences as well but these are the primary large variations.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 1640 is a bastard design; (meaning no parents); I assume you have the original stock? Have it duplicated.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I don't have the original stock. But I do have a stock that McMillan made for it (a modified Sako design they sell). I don't know much about stock duplication but can an exsisting stock like my McMillan be used for the 'pattern'

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! That is how most custom stocks are made; on a pantograph machine, using a pattern, which can be an orignal stock. All mechanical; no Computers involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an new partially inletted walnut stock for a Husqvarna 1640 mauser, cut for the steel floor plate. Interested? Send PM.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Mauser bottom metal can be made to work with the 1640 action. I know because my wife's .30-06 built on a 1640 action has Jerry Fisher bottom metal made for a Mauser action.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's the bolt stop/ejector housing cut that looks bad. 1640 has a tiny bolt stop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM not coming through.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could use a g33-40 or a Brno mod. 21 or 22 might be best..I have a pattern stock for a Brno mod. 22F very thin slim pattern..and I think Dennis Olson, Plains, Mt. has that same pattern stock he made from my stock...Might give him a call, at any rate he can do what you need, and not break the bank..

Are we sure the 1640 is a small ring???

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a small ring but a unique design differing in many ways from the small ring 98 like a 33-40, which is a small ring, small thread 98. The 1640 is a totally different animal. But strong. It differs from a 98 in that it has no inner shoulder in the receiver ring, and the ejector is below the bolt locking lugs, like on a Model 70. So the lug is not slotted. It is in reality, a modified 96. It does have the 98 safety lug.
Tiny little bolt stop.
It is confusing to keep the Husqvarna rifles straight. For example, they never made a 98, but used FN actions and those are the 146; I can't keep them straight either.