Find
Notify
Tools

Should I be dead? And what is the fix?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad.. my semi-custom 375 Hawk/Scovill does the same thing, though maybe not as bad. It also shoots 1/2" 200 yards groups.. so I don't worry about it too much. [Big Grin]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too, am a recent convert to the "Will never buy a Remington again" club. I've drooled over them for some 25 odd years and got burnt recently on a new Mountain rifle.
What you have, from the custom shop no less, is faulty. I don't care what Remington says. You should call them and talk to them about it. Demand a fix or replacement and let them know that a lot of people are aware of Big Green's problems and are willing to withold their money to make a point.
I get so disgusted, when Remington finally set out to fix the trigger problem that has nagged the 700 for years. How did they fix it? They removed the bolt locking feature so you can unload the gun with the safety on. How in God's green earth does this fix the fire on releasing the safety issue????
I'm just as ignorant as the next fellow, assuming the next fellow isn't a total moron, but what in the world is Remington thinking. They have probably the most sought after rifle for custom work and they insist on making it total junk.
JBelk was absoultely right, Junk!
We as consumers need to demad better and not accept less. We are partly to blame.
I salute those who point out these problems, so we can avoid this kind of junk.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

As so many of our friends stated here, this a very common occurance with belted magnums.

Once we had a Sako rifle chambered for the 257 Weatherby cartridge. It was built by Auguste Francotte of Liege, Belgium.

The chamber was so big, the case had a secoond belt once it got reloaded. We used the same brass in it only, as it could not be used in any other rifle.

My friend Roy Vincent was here with us for the past 9 days, and he likes to shoot a lot. In fact, we have to drag him from teh shooting room to the dinner table every night!

Anyway, we have a brand new Winchester Classic in 7mm Remington magnum, and Roy decided to shoot it.

I got some RWS once fired brass - I have no idea in which rifle they were fired, as we got them from some kind soul.

I sized the brass in a full length sizer, and we tried them in this Winchester rifle. They refused to chamber, without a lot of effort.

We had to shoot new factory ammo in it to get brass to develop some loads for it.

Weird really, especialy after we have resized the brass.

Posts: 68628 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington used to produce some quality firearms,
but after making their bed with the likes of Wal-
Mart and K-Mart to produce in quanity rather than quality and cutting corners to save money at the
consumer's expense is what our country has come to. Do they not have any quality control measures?
Mount the gun to a couple of old tires, load it and fire it from a safe distance using fishing
line or wire and keep doing this until you get a
head seperation. Send what's left to a product
liability attourney and let him call Remington!
Sadly, lawsuits are the only way to stop this
crummy quality issue! BLR7
P.S. Use remington brass in the test!! [Mad]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have a BLR in .243 that has always had an issue just like this. I've had it now since '89 and always reloaded for it using small base dies the BLR requires. It shoots remarkably well and I've never had a case rupture.

Of course, through my interaction here at AR, I now know this is not the way it should be, but I'm not going to invest any money to "fix" it either. If I'd paid a custom shop to chamber this rifle I'd make a much bigger issue of it.

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I sent a copy of this entire thread to the President of Remington and also sent the rifle to the "Custom Shop". It should arrive there a week from today. I'll keep all of you posted on the progress, if any. In the meantime, I guess I'm stuck with a crummy old CZ 550 Lux for my Medium Bore. [Wink]

BTW, someone asked me about the loads I used. I never loaded the brass more than one grain less than max (didn't need too) and seated the bullets out somewhat less than the recommemded distance according to Barnes (can't remember what it was, but the o.a.l. was pretty short so it could function in the short action. I believe MY max load with 225 X bullets was 59 grains of IMR 4320 which is one grain less than max in somebody's book. Forgot where? Accuracy was outstanding, bolt openned easily, primers rounded with no cratering and waterbuck, etc., just plain died before they hit the ground.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the president of Remington will ever read something on this forum?

Keep us informed.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
I wonder if the president of Remington will ever read something on this forum?

Keep us informed.

Gentlemen

This forum would be an excellent board for companies to get opinions about new products [Smile]

If remingtons president would have spent some time here I guess what would have to get fixed on the rifles they make. I'm not sure if that tis their interest [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I suggest full length resizing and firing with sandbags and a string until case head seperation occurs, (which shouldnt take long) then bang your eye on a table and sue the bastards. [Big Grin]

They should be building firearms under the assumption that the owner WILL be reloading for it, not the other way around. That is just inexcusable.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I sent a copy of this entire thread to the President of Remington and also sent the rifle to the "Custom Shop". It should arrive there a week from today. I'll keep all of you posted on the progress, if any.

Not much of a progress so far, alas. But thanks for opening up the second thread.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing "cosmetic" about this case. The picture clearly shows that the case ahead of the belt is nearly belt dimension.

Demand satifaction from Rem custom shop. Barring that have a competant smith remove the barrel and check that the chamber was cut on the same plane as the bore. If so you could have it rechambered for a SA RUM.

Better yet put a new barrel on it.

Is this kind of quality "corporate greed"? Obviously we all need to make a profit to stay in business. Consumers demand the $550 rifle without realizing that that neccecitates oversized reamers that can repeatedly be resharpened and the four minute chambering job.

This is not just a Remington problem.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote