New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for 1200 lapping compound cheap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody have an idea where I can find this? Neco has it cheapest at $15 plus shipping, I am looking to spend less if possible.

clover only has it by the pound....

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some used 600 grit I'll sell you... Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you're at but check companies like Graingers. Any industrial supply shop should have lapping compounds.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn’t JB somewhere in that grit range?

It does cost about $3 bucks a jar though, is that too expensive? Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
good one malm!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JB is made from garnet, which is softer than barrel steel, which won't serve my purposes. I checked. good idea, though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to www.cheapshitRus.com they have mislabeled stuff and have some 1200 that is actually 400 grit but the label says 1200. Probably real cheap. Won't work well but you will like the price.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
I have some used 600 grit I'll sell you... Big Grin

OK, let's have some details please.

quote:
Originally posted by customstox:
somebody gave me a wedgie today so I think I'll be an a-hole on the internet

thanks for nothing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic’s trying to get my job! hammering

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Go to www.cheapshitRus.com they have mislabeled stuff and have some 1200 that is actually 400 grit but the label says 1200. Probably real cheap. Won't work well but you will like the price.

Chic, That was friggen hilarious!!!
jumping

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Jim White said! rotflmo

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
JB is made from garnet, which is softer than barrel steel, which won't serve my purposes. I checked. good idea, though.

Delloro
Don't know what you are lapping but i have read somewhere that garnet doesn't embed in metals like other compounds. It might be what you really need.
Why 1200 grit?
Dick

Posts: 25 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Crest toothpaste is about 1200 grit ain’t it?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
In short, the answer is no, no one knows where you can get lapping compound for cheaper than it costs to make.

$15 and shipping (us mail) should be under 20 bucks...

how much lower, perdactly, do you want to go?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 3 years ago there was a fellow in AK that sold some 600 and 1200 grit powders on one of the gun boards. I think it was about $8 ro $12 for two vials of each. Mixed with Norton Oil, it works great and lasts a long time.
Now that I know that it is really valuable I'm putting it in the safe and restricting it's use to really important projects.
Diamond is available from many different sources and is not really that expensive for what you get and for what it does. And available down to single digit micron level. Color coded for i.d.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Chic’s trying to get my job!

Rick

Nobody could ever replace you Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am fire-lapping a mosin-nagant barrel that shoots very well for the first 10 shots then opens up. it is not barrel heating, as I let it cool, and I have not taken the action from the stock, so I think it's a clean barrel/dirty barrel thing.

as the rifle is a mosin nagant, I do not have much in it.

I picked up a Midway lapping kit for about $15.00, but the finest grit is 600. I saw NECO has 1200 grit and that seems like a great idea, but NECO's 1200-grit will be $20 or so delivered, a substantial portion of the cost of the rifle.

I see that my frugality offends people like chic for some reason, but I find it difficult to spend much on an inexpensive rifle. so I am looking for 1200 grit that will polish steel, but am reluctant to spend $20 on it.

I was hoping to get out for $10 or less.

I sold auto parts for many years and sold much lapping compound for far less than $20 per pot, even accounting for inflation.

that experirnce, coupled with my low inital costs in acquiring the rifle, militate against spending much on the 1200-grit coumpund.

of course, if I ever decide to restock my mosin with walnut grown from the finest root stock used to make furniture for French Royalty, fertilized with ortolans, blessed each year by the Pope, watered with the dewey peepee from virgins raised in a convent secluded in the swiss alps, which walnuts were used to make cookies for starving orphans, well then I will no doubt seek the services of chic so he will have something useful to contribute to my life.

until then, I will unabashedly seek the cheap way out, and rightfully so.

thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
I picked up a Midway lapping kit for about $15.00, but the finest grit is 600.

There you go. If you really want to save money, use the 600 grit, recover the bullets and use them again. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine South Texas dirt would be very close to 1200 grit.........I would consider selling it for 15 dollars per pound plus shipping Smiler.........well it hasnt rained in 8 months.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you're trying to smooth out the bore of a Mosin, buy a case of ammo, a one piece cleaning rod and jag, and a case of patches and start blasting away. If you put 400-500 rounds through it and clean the bore thoroughly every 5 rounds, I doubt seriously that you'll ever get the bore any smoother than that. And you do not have to buy any of that expensive lapping compound to do it!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
delloro,

1200 is about 3 micron size, did you want silicon carbide or aluminum oxide. I sell a lot of abrasive in the course of a year but all in large quantities. Send me a PM and I can see if I have a little sample of 3 micron around somewhere I can send you.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, if you go to a wood finishing company you might be able to sneak around back and do some “dumpster-diving†and scrounge a used piece of 1200 grit sand paper and then scrape some grit off the corners where is hadn’t been used! Of course, that raises the question about where are you gonna get some cheap razor blades to do the scraping with?????

jumping

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Trust me when I say 600 grit is all you're gonna need. Any finer than that and you wasting your time and money. Especially on a milsurp.
Roll Eyes

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want som effect on fouling you should go for some grit 220, because its capability to remove toolmarks, and create som degre of microrifeling, reducing the bulletjackets tendency to stick in the barrel

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Not that I would ever use this in my rifle bore (I wouldn't), BUT...

As you sold auto parts/grits for years, have you considered looking up what size of grit(s) various paint polishing (rubbing) compounds are? Or maybe you could use Flitz, basically a silver polish, like the British target shooters have done for about 30 years.....

(N.B.: I have used Flitz in my various NRA (DCRA too) match & Palma rifles. It cleaned their bores very nicely and did not harm them...at least not to the point it showed in the scores they were capable of...)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I don't have any idea where to acquire 1200 grit lapping compound but this thread has damn sure been entertaining!

I agree with Rusty in that 600 will be as fine as you need.

Gringo, Are you sure about that South Texas dirt bein that fine? I was thinkin it would be just a might courser than that. 1200 is finer than fly poop! Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gringo, Are you sure about that South Texas dirt bein that fine? I was thinkin it would be just a might courser than that. 1200 is finer than fly poop! Jim

Nothing is fine about fly poop! Big Grin With a dairy startup operation for a neighbor, I have become quite familiar with fp and it covers everything in about a #9 shot size splat Eeker Maybe some of those costal mosquitoes could produce poop of the appropriate size.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fun Forum:

Naughty NaGant Negates Neco
Cheeky Chic Chortles CheapChit
Frugal Foulers Find Flitz Functional

......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigB, that is very generous of you, but I think I will just go ahead and get the Neco stuff as there does not seem to be much of an alternative.

discouraged delloro determines disbursing decent dough destined

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Fun Forum:

Naughty NaGant Negates Neco
Cheeky Chic Chortles CheapChit
Frugal Foulers Find Flitz Functional

......................DJ

dj -

Visiting AR is worth the time just to see what poetic turn you'll take next....you've a truly agile mind. Hat's off to ya.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote