Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 won't cock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am dropping it off to get restocked, and I noticed it won't cock.

I bought a 2nd hand Harry Lawson stock of off ebay and it fits pretty close.

I was going to have my guy open the barrel channel and bottom metal a bit and glass bed.

Then I noticed the cocking problem this weekend.

It is a Voere 98 2155 in 9.3x62. I am not sure what kind of 98 or clone it was when It was built.

Voere sporterized it about 15-20 years ago, and it was sold through Akah (has all that information on the barrel).

Nice rifle, but kind of getting to be a money pit.

The Voere stock was split, I knew that going into it.

I could have bought more barrels and stock for my 700 clones or more Blaser stuff for the money I spent on this thing.

Posts: 7780 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When my 98 wouldn't cock I found the trigger assembly was loose.

Posts: 19518 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
will it cock out of the stock? make sure it's on tightly if not, will it cock in the stock? likely interference from the stock wood, which was likely inletted for a different trigger - or.... is the trigger shoe touching the bottom metal? or is there wood pushing the front of the trigger assembly?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39136 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
My standard answer; Do Not F with it; put it in a box and send it to me. Makes things easier all around than everyone guessing. But I guess that is what the internet is for.

Posts: 17245 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
My standard answer; Do Not F with it; put it in a box and send it to me. Makes things easier all around than everyone guessing. But I guess that is what the internet is for.

Good reply!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
A Mauser 98 cocks on opening, that is the design, yours is 99% sure to be cocking. If the cocking piece/firing pin is following through when you close the bolt, you have a sear engagement problem. Wrong trigger, inadequate sear engagement, aftermarket trigger put on without elongating the sear slot... the list goes on and on. I'd send it to Tom and he will make it right.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Overtravel may be set wrong !

Hip

Posts: 1866 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with a FN Mauser when I restocked. The original rifle was bedded a tad bit higher than the replacement stock, so I had to grind down the kick-off on the 2 stage trigger for proper contact.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote