New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grain flow for new rifle project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up this old left over unfinished stock from the Winchester custom shop, and I am thinking about using it for a left handed 375 or 416. Do any of the experts here see any issues with the grain flow that would cause you concern? The grain looks pretty straight through the wrist, but I am not experienced in selecting wood blanks for big bores.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Typical grain flow; the perfect grain would curve down through the grip but that is difficult to get.
If you are concerned, drill the grip for a steel rod insert.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Typical grain flow; the perfect grain would curve down through the grip but that is difficult to get.

Do you recommend going from the top with the drill, starting behind the action screw? Or from the bottom through the grip cap?

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

It looks a ripper to me, dpcd. What makes grain curving with the grip superior?

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF not already cut for lefty,
I'd love to have that stick.

Good luck with it. Should be a real
beauty.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5960 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
On quarter sawn wood, having as much of the grain flowing through the thinnest place in any piece will make it stronger. But if you try to get that from a straight grained piece you end up with a fore end with slanted grain. What you don't want is it flowing the opposite way, which makes it weaker.
With plain sawn blanks it doesn't matter.
Do I recommend drilling for a rebar from the bottom or the top?
Yes.
Would I do it if it was mine? Probably not.
I'm just talking about if you are paranoid, or want insurance. Walnut stocks have been known to break.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice grain flow

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm...boy. I don' know...Personally would not give that grain flow a blessing.. Had the fore end been rotated downward (When laying out)..might have had a chance.

I would have passed on this blank...No only for lay out, Claro would not be a choice for a heavy hitter.

Not being super critical, just trying to save you some disappointment

Posts: 3506 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Hmmmm...boy. I don' know...Personally would not give that grain flow a blessing.. Had the fore end been rotated downward (When laying out)..might have had a chance.

I would have passed on this blank...No only for lay out, Claro would not be a choice for a heavy hitter.

Not being super critical, just trying to save you some disappointment

I appreciate the feedback. That’s why I asked. This was the best of three blanks I ordered. I’m certainly not dead set on using it for a big bore. Also kicking around the idea of building a 257 Roberts, 7x57 or 30-06. The blanks were relatively cheap. So it’s a nice way to get a some figure at a reasonable cost.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Might want to consider a bastogne walnut blank for the calibers you are wanting to use it for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Duane, and just being a gunsmith has nothing to do with knowing wood, thats a whole nuther ball game..The stock in question could very well split off the end of the grip...

All that said, I would go ahead and use the stock in question inasmuch as you allready have it and its close to being finished, if for no other reason than its pretty and might even last for ions, Ive seen many old 100 year old English and American stocks last and last..

Black walnut isn't a wood Id use other than on a old Winchester lever gun that I wanted to look original..Thin shell walnut is the only wood I would use, and these days I like Turkish or Russian walnut, and the Russian stuff is hard to come by..Its just turkish from older trees as a rule..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’m thinking I’ll stick a wrist pin in it for insurance. And I’m leaning towards a 30-06 project with this one instead of a heavy hitter.

Now I just need to find a suitable lefty Winchester action, which isn’t easy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does that work. Anyone can contact the Winchester Custom Shop and buy a carved stock like that one????

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I believe the one the OP has, came from when Winchester operated their custom shop in New Haven.
https://www.customshopinc.com/...inchester-gunstocks/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought it from Midwest Gun Works.

I think they must have bought up a bunch of the New Haven stuff when the plant was shut down.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the one the OP has, came from when Winchester operated their custom shop in New Haven.
https://www.customshopinc.com/...inchester-gunstocks/

Some nice stocks there, with great cross-over chequering. Looking at the top, most-expensive one, though, I'm amazed how square the diamonds are on the chequering of the pistol hand, esp. compared with the longer ones on the fore end.

I now see this on some of the other stocks, too. Is it common elsewhere in the trade to have short diamonds on one grip and long ones on the other?

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update on the stock. I recut the angle of the stock to closer to 90 degrees and added a red decelerator pad. Installed cross bolts with ebony plugs and added an ebony tip with an overall forearm length of around 9 inches. I installed a wrist pin as well. Just recently purchased a lefty 30-06 M70 from a member here that will eventually be pillar bedded in this stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
;You really should have that pad fitted, it looks a bit oversize! barf

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
;You really should have that pad fitted, it looks a bit oversize! barf

That’s obviously on the to-do list. For now, it just prevents me from banging up the edge of the stock.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Your project 70 is coming along nicely.

The attitude of the grain as viewed from the top of the wrist/grip should also be considered next time. Pro's might agree that straight is best especially for heavy hitters.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5175 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote