New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wood stock repair?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a cheap easy solution to fill in a hole in a wood stock and maybe add a little extra "meat" to a stock to give it strength. The stock will be painted afterward so appearence isn't important. I'm thinking JB Weld? Will it give me the strength I am looking for? Is there something better out there that I will be able to find easily and affordably?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's all kind of stuff out there, Acraglass, Devcon and others. If your just pluggin' a hole that's gonna be painted, JB will work fine. Automotive "Bondo" will also work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm doing this one as a pseudo-lightweight and wonder if I didn't get a little carried away in skeletonizing the stock. I'm more worried about adding a little strength to one of my corners then the hole. Think JB will be ok for that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda hard to opine without seein' it, can you post a pic?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you looking to add strength ?. Wood filler will do nicely on the hole as it's what your base

material is . JB Weld is fine for many things but not what I'd recommend for " Filling strength " or

corner reinforcement . As Cragister says seeing where your attempting to fortify is paramount !.

Epoxy and fabric is a far better choice of materials for " Strengthening " purposes .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bondo may pop out if its a hole .. marinetex for me

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote