Find
Notify
Tools

264WM re-chamber to 26 Nosler?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G’day all,

I have a Win Model 70 EW switch barrel in 300WM/264WM & 270 Weatherby.
All barrels are 30” and velocities run 200fps on average faster than my 26” barrels.

My question is:
If I re-chamber the 264 barrel to 26 Nosler, what sort of increase in velocity or accuracy would I achieve?
Is this feasible?
Would I be gaining ANYTHING worthwhile doing this?
Should I just buy another barrel and try it first?

I am confused as to what to do & expect.

Thanks all.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
direct answer -- i have no idea -- inferred answer, base off 7rem vs 7STW -- it will go faster, and if used conservatively, with such a long barrel, you will see some gains.

in the same barrel, one generally realizes gains in velocity equal to 25% of the gains in capacity, as a proven rule of thumb

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Faster, but how much is unknown. Probably 200fps, maybe a tad more. Could utilize the super slow powders with a 30" tube, so more isn't a stretch to my mind.

If you go that route, think 1:7.5 or even 1:7 twist. Might as well tool up for the super long VLD copper bullets that Cutting Edge and others make.

Consider getting the barrel melonite (or equivalent) coated. The 26 Nosler is the definition of a barrel burner and melonite is supposed to help that. I've had no experience with that aspect of melonite, but it is a nice finish regardless.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would the Nosler require feeding modifications that would adversely effect the 300 and 270?

I don't know but would find out before I started chasing f.p.s.

Posts: 555 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
Would the Nosler require feeding modifications that would adversely effect the 300 and 270?

I don't know but would find out before I started chasing f.p.s.

That is a very good point, but rules here do not allow any ammo in the mag, so feeding isn’t an issue.
Not chasing more velocity, only accuracy, BUT, if accuracy comes with more velocity, then why not.
This rifle is superbly accurate as is, but the 264 barrel is not quite as accurate as the other 2. The twist on the 264 is currently 1:8”. I have no problems stabilising 140/142gr pills with it.

I guess I’m just curious if the Nosler would be more accurate?
My Rem 700 custom in 6.5x47 is more accurate than the 264, both run the same twist.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no reason that rechambering to a larger case would make your existing barrel more accurate -- unless the throat is damaged/fire cracked and rechambering to the longer cartridge refreshes the throat. But I doubt this is the case.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I’m just curious if the Nosler would be more accurate?

I always found that accuracy was easier with smaller cases and got more touchy as the case got bigger. I for sure would not go to a 26 Nosler just hoping for accuracy..

I as Stonecreek mentioned and the throat was damaged I would look at setting back not going to the Nosler.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote