New
Find
Notify
Tools

reboring 12 ga. from 2&3/4 to 3in.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 12 ga Weatherby Olympian O/U with 2&34 in chambers. It has 32 barrels and I would like to get a little more bang out of it for a waterfowl gun.It is in excellent conition. My question is--is it feasable to bore it out to 3 in and extend the forcing cones? Would this be risky in terms of weakening it?

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
To say what everyone else has thought, this seems to be a hands on question for a good 'smith. Hopefully some one has recomendation in your area.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has fixed chokes, Weatherby doesn't recommend steel shot.

I'd suggest trying some exotic non-toxic loads (ITX, tungsten, etc) to increase your reach.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
for what its worth, the job is rechambering, not reboring

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not ask Weatherby?.
good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought into the chamber lengthening/longer forcing cone frenzy, bought some reamers and did it to a couple of guns.
In the years since I have come to realize that longer forcing cones may or may not make a difference and lengthening the chambers on a gun just takes away metal where you need it most, just ahead of the existing chamber, right about where your leading hand is.

If you need a 3" gun then buy a 3" gun, or a 3-1/2" gun, that's good for use with steel shot.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phill pittman:
I have a 12 ga Weatherby Olympian O/U with 2&34 in chambers. It has 32 barrels and I would like to get a little more bang out of it for a waterfowl gun.It is in excellent conition. My question is--is it feasable to bore it out to 3 in and extend the forcing cones? Would this be risky in terms of weakening it?

First off, extending forcing cones is NOT a "may or may not" issue. I've done plenty over the years to form a solid opinion of the results. Lenghtening forcing cones do WORK in every instance if they are done correctly.

Secondly, you will have to let the gunsmith who will potentially be doing the work check the barrel to see what you may be giving up in wall thickness and where. Among other concerns, he will need to take into consideration the location of the barrel/block joint (aka suture line) as that will be a big concern when removing material.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for their input. I think the best solution for me comes from Recoil Rob, that being to just go to another gun with a 3 in. chamber.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are other ways to achieve what is, in actual fact, your goal. That is more pellets in your killing circle at longer range.

Here in Britain in past times people used to use a low velocity load.

By using a shorter height driving wad and/or a roll crimp you can certainly increase the shot capacity of a standard 2 3/4" cartridge.

To compensate for this increased shot capacity (and increase in the weight of shot fired) then the powder charge is reduced. Hence the idea of a low velocity load.

This will do two things: i) Increase your shot load and ii) by being low velocity give a tighter pattern.

The only problem I can foresee is that you don't handload or that you may be using steel shot that will be handicapped by the lowering of its velocity.

Here in Europe we have now 2 3/4" Magnum loads. It may be a solution to just have the gun re-proofed for these? Which would involve no chamber alteration.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote