Find
Notify
Tools

P14 Magazine same as 1917 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Will a P14 magazine box fit a 1917 Enfield ?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i think the p14 is the sheetmetal with ribs and "tilted".. the 1917 is the "sheet/plate" riveted together.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe, still looking for a replacement for the broken one on my Remington Enfield.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FLA30-06,
Why can't you repair the broken one? that would be the simpleiest route...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I don't think it can be repaired, the cast metal piece at the front of the box is chipped:

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Sure you can fix it, just sit under the shade tree and mix up some JB weld beer

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Do you have the missing pieces? If so bring them the next time you are up here.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Order a new one from Numrich.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Scota, thanks for the suggestion. I ordered an original 1917 mag box AND a modified version for magnum length cartridges, which is what I needed anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Scota, thanks for the suggestion. I ordered an original 1917 mag box AND a modified version for magnum length cartridges, which is what I needed anyway.

I take it the modified one will work on a Rem. M30 action?

I bought another M30 that's not in collectable condition and probably going to end up as a big boomer so I'm starting to collect parts.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Rob, you can try it, that's what I intend to do. It's part #543990B, $8.50, stamped sheet metal rather than riveted steel like the originals, for H&H/Weatherby cartridges, which will still require additional alterations for Rigby/A-2 type rounds.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
i bought one of those from gunparts.. it's like 22g steel.. not great, but it works

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, what did you use it for? A big magnum (Rigby or larger) or little (H&H, Lott)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a M'17 and P-14,the easiest way to tell them apart is by the magazine.The bottom metal is different ,too.The 303 mag is shortened and has ridges on the sides to allow the rimmed cartridges to work in a mauser box.The bottom metal on the 303 has rounded front corners,the M'17 is square.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing a picture once of a sporterized 1917 Enfield that had been modified to accept a 1903 Trigger guard/magazine assembly by relocating the tang screw hole on the receiver. Obviously, not a quick or easy method...but perhaps worth looking into.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rick 0311: Obviously, not a quick or easy method

As you can see, nothing about this project will be quick or easy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I think it’s beautiful! I love 1917’s and they make up into really nice, strong, reliable rifles in any form. If you don’t want it...I’ll be more than happy to take it off your hands, seriously.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I agree, it is beautiful. 1917 Enfields can be made into lovely big game rifles as seen by the work of Jim Wisner, Tom Burgess, etc. This one really isn't as rough as the pic looks, no pitting, just alot of tarnish and surface discoloration. Gonna take alot of millwork, grinding, filing, welding and polishing though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I agree, it is beautiful. 1917 Enfields can be made into lovely big game rifles as seen by the work of Jim Wisner, Tom Burgess, etc. This one really isn't as rough as the pic looks, no pitting, just alot of tarnish and surface discoloration. Gonna take alot of millwork, grinding, filing, welding and polishing though.

It’s out of print and really hard to find, but if you can lay your hands on a copy of Vicker’s Advanced Gunsmithing he goes into great detail on working over the 1917 Enfields.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a mag box on e-bay for a p 14 today

Posts: 33 | Location: fremont,ca. | Registered: 25 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonna take alot of millwork, grinding, filing, welding and polishing though.[/QUOTE]

It is not as bad as you think. Make a mandrill that has threads like a barrel. The mandrill should be a push fit through the receiver and out the back. Put centers on both ends. Grab it in a dividing head and do the cutting on a horizontal mill. I mostly eyeballed them. Do cut the rear bridge for an easy to get scope base, Like a M-700. Nix the bolt release button and install a tab on the spring. That will get rid of a lot of useless steel. Loose the clip slots. Move the back of the loading port back, but not enough to expose the rear edge of the spring.

Stuart Otteson's book, " The Bolt Action" walks you through the variations and history of the P-13 through the last M-30's. That will give you a good understanding about these actions. From there you can decide how far to take it.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I build all my africa rifles from p14 p17 have lots of parts i should have a mag box stamped from sheet you can have i dont like em i turn the 17 box inside out for big boomers it works best . let me know if you want to sell the action.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote